Skip to content
TBI 1995 untreated thyroid, etc.
athetic_gal_73 posted:
I was a 21 year old healthy skinny person who suffered a severe TBI in 1995 and since then my weight has never been below 170. I am 5'6 and I trained for and ran 5 half marathons and the 170 was the lowest my weight ever got. I am 15 years post TBI and I an getting sick and tired of not being able to lose weight. I am a runner and was a soccer and basketball player before but now I just run and swim. I am swimming now because I cannot run yet since my second bunion surgery in May 2010 which I'm praying will healed correctly so I can run pain free. I swam 2000 meters today and 2300 on Tuesday so I am an athlete and I have an appointment with an endocronologist, recommended by alot in December but I was able to get an appointment with another doctor later this month and I am hoping and praying that he will find the problem. I am the 5th of six children and child number 4, right before me, my brother has been diagnosed and is being treated for thyroid disease and I was the next child born and I wonder if there is a chance that I have it as well but as a result of my TBI. I keep trying to do everything but nothing works, please help!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Athletic_gal,

Sorry for the late reply and to hear of the health issues you've had to deal with. I'm sure more members will be chiming in soon!

It can be sooo frustrating when you're doing everything "by the book" and the weight just won't come off. I hope your appointment with the Endo when well. Please let us know the results and share what you learned with the community.

You might also be interested in reading these related articles:

And, just in case you're not sure it's your thyroid, I'd also suggest posting your question on our Fitness and Exercise Community for more in depth fitness answers from our Health Expert on the board.

Hope that helps!

Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with HypoThyroid 13 years ago.. and then again recently Currently on 50mcg of Synthroid and attempting to lose weight and feel NORMAL agai...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.