Skip to content
Graves Disease
JamieAnnB posted:
I know that Grave's Disease is an Autoimmune Disease. If I've had my thyroid taken out, do I still have the disease?

Rubberboa responded:
Yes. It is at current uncurable. There just removing the object fo the graves focus.

JamieAnnB replied to Rubberboa's response:
Good to know. Thank you. Does that mean I can't donate blood?

Rubberboa replied to JamieAnnB's response:
I don't know. I know the Graves is not an issue and you can donate, but did you have any radiation?

I have yet to call the redcross to see if I can donate since I was radiated to kill my thyroid.

RB

No. I didn't have radiation. He went straight to taking it out. My thyroid was so huge and it was so uncomfortable to sleep.

What does the radiation do?

Jamie

Radiation kills your thyroid thus avoiding surgery. Either way is not a pleasent choice. I wish surgery would have been offered to me.

He didn't really give me an option. He told me that he didn't think it would work because the medication didn't make a big difference.

My mom wants me to get a Medical ID Bracelet. I don't know what to put on it. Any ideas?

name of surgery and date it was performed.

no sense putting your medication on it because the doseage will varry through out your life.

Besure your children (if you have any) are aware that Graves/thyroid isses runs in your family.

RB
Graves - two hyperthyoid pregancies /w PTU usage - RAI 2008 - levoxyl 88mcg - 40 # packed on since treatment grrrrrrrr (insert sad fustrated face)

Right, I didn't think of that.

I don't have any kids yet. Truth is I'm scared to have them now.

I've gained a lot since my surgery. I hate it.

me too (insert moo sound). its fustrating, and a dozen other emotions. Then to add trouble to the mix durign certain segments of my menstral cycle I CRAVE sugar.

How is your cycle? Mine isn't much fun as I have days of runaway anxiety and days of severe brain fogginess. Theyroid sure makes it hard. Once I identified that THAT was causing my weirdness every month I learned to work around it. (ie: I learned day 16 of cycle I get breain foggy, I avoid detail oriented work then, I found out day 20 I got psychotic so I do extra stress reduction measures then etc)

RB

That really sucks.

I actually don't have my period. It's really strange. Last time I had it was probably April. It's been like this since I've started. I've gone years without having one before. You have a 16 day menstrual cycle?

I get crazy mood sings all of the time. I'll be happy about something then angry about it ten seconds later.

Jamie

Mkathire replied to JamieAnnB's response:
Gals,

I am suffering from Graves too and I had my thyroid removed left eye (correction sugery). After my thyroid removal I'm hypothyroid.

Recently, I was dating(parents arranged) with a guy for almost 2 months and the guy rejected me when I told him I that I am hypothyroid. I was depressed and frustrated.

When I went spoke to my doctor she said that just monitoring the levels during pregnancy is gud enuff and that I need not worry abt bearing a child.

Few of my friends are really happy with their kids now. So, Jamie don't be scared.

Cheers,
Meera

bri2dino replied to JamieAnnB's response:
I do the same thing, my bf thinks im nuts

santiago2005 responded:
My grandmother and my cousin and myself has/had Grave's. My sister and my father have Lupus, also an autoimmune. Endocrinologist asked if there was anyone in my family with any autoimmune diseases.
2009 I went to the dr suffering from what I thought was depression and fatigue with nervousness.He never told me I was hypo. Dr did nothing cuz it was mild and never told me. He also gave me Ativan cuz I was having panic attacks and was on the floor clutching my chest. A few months later my husband said your hands shake like crazy. I could not hold anything without looking like an addict.lol
Went to the dr in Feb of 2010 for strep and he said my thyroid was enlarged. I had been losing weight but slowly and under a lot of stress.
My bloodwork came back 4.3 T4 and TSH was .24. They talked about putting me in the hospital. Didnt need to.
Now a year later and I think I'm hypo.
I do not want my thyroid out unless it's cancerous.
Having blood work done next week....past feb my TSH was .004 and t4 was good.
It all sucks!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My gynecologist found a nodule on my thyroid in late 2004. After the biopsy was determined to be inconclusive, I had surgery to remove the right side ...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.