Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stop taking Synthroid?
Reenwad posted:
Any harm if I stop taking my Synthroid abrubtly?

I've been on it a couple years, and while it adjusts the numbers on paper, I feel no different other than having shortness of breath, tight chest (feels like someone sitting on me), sweaty palms, etc. I've even been to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack!

Told doc about the problems, and how I think it started when the Synthroid started. He thinks I have anxiety issues and wanted me to start taking Zoloft. I refused to take an additional pill, I don't wanna be one of those people that take a bunch of daily pills. So I said I wanted to try eliminating the Synthroid.

Or should I gradually do it? He said it would be OK to just stop, but everyone else says no.

Jessy124 responded:
Please email me if you read this post. I have been taking Synthroid 25mcg and have stabilized after 4months. I started on 75mcg but just within the past month, more so in the past week I have felt like what you explained!!! I am meeting with my doctor tomorrow but I would like to know more about your situation and how long you have been feeling like this?

Thank you,

Jlblanco28@yahoo.com
33 years old, female

beanie_gene replied to Jessy124's response:
I stopped taking my synthroid 3 months ago just to see what the differences were. Other than tiredness, and weight gain, I don't feel any different.

An_246544 responded:
Within the past 6 months I have noticed differences from bottle to bottle with synthroid I have never noticed before. I've been on it almost 20 yrs same dose. Something recently has definitely been going on with this drug. I was fine on one bottle then the next I get a pounding pulse and heart palpitations, then the next Id be fine again and so on. I had my labs done and TSH perfect but still getting these symptoms of being hyper I guess. If i stop taking it for a couple days the pulse rate returns to normal. Something is up with this drug recently no doubt about it. I plan on switching to an alternative.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

Hi
In regards to thyroid issues it's interesting how the thyroids works. I actually had my thyroid removed earlier this year because I had an ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.