Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thyroid surgery
An_242757 posted:
Has anyone had thyroid surgery? I want to know what to expect. I don't know for sure yet that I have to have it out going for a biopsy on a nodule in March but already had a biopsy and they got a typical cells and sounds like if it's that again she's just going to recommend taking it out. I want advise if it's not cancer just a typical cells should I really go through with having it out? Any help?????

beanie_gene responded:
I had my thyroid removed back 1996. I had thyroid cancer. I would say that I had no choice. The surgery removed the whole thyroid along with a lot of lymph nodes. I did not have to have any treatment after that.

I don't know how to advise you or not. If it ends up being cancerous, than have it removed. IF not, then get a second opinion, and a third opinion. More than likely, either way, you will have to be taking some sort of thyroid medication to regulate it.

blsdnsvdd responded:
I recommend at least 3 opinions. If you can keep half of the thyroid, do it. I had mine removed due to abnormal cells on both sides. I totally regret it because i am not well due to hypo symptoms and added issues (health wise).

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.