Skip to content
Thyroid surgery
An_242757 posted:
Has anyone had thyroid surgery? I want to know what to expect. I don't know for sure yet that I have to have it out going for a biopsy on a nodule in March but already had a biopsy and they got a typical cells and sounds like if it's that again she's just going to recommend taking it out. I want advise if it's not cancer just a typical cells should I really go through with having it out? Any help?????

beanie_gene responded:
I had my thyroid removed back 1996. I had thyroid cancer. I would say that I had no choice. The surgery removed the whole thyroid along with a lot of lymph nodes. I did not have to have any treatment after that.

I don't know how to advise you or not. If it ends up being cancerous, than have it removed. IF not, then get a second opinion, and a third opinion. More than likely, either way, you will have to be taking some sort of thyroid medication to regulate it.

blsdnsvdd responded:
I recommend at least 3 opinions. If you can keep half of the thyroid, do it. I had mine removed due to abnormal cells on both sides. I totally regret it because i am not well due to hypo symptoms and added issues (health wise).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 46 and was diagnosed with Grave's disease feb of '10. I was hypo then extreme hyper. In the progression of Grave's I wished someone ...More

Helpful Tips

everyone with a thyroid problem should try them!
many do not believe in the supplements but I know do.I was diagnosed 2 years ago and for 1 whole year I felt horrible, extream fatigue, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful