Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Silly question, I know..but I just want to stop worrying!
pugeebunnie posted:
Hey everyone - just a quick question. My TSH, T3, & T4 levels are back within the normal range and I've been feeling much better lately - the spaciness has all but subsided. The only problem left is the anxiety - since I've grappled with this issue for a year now (fluctuating levels, feeling good then bad, etc., etc.), I'm now afradf of the ball dropping. I woke up this morning with a horrible head cold and now I'm anxious that it could tip the scale and send my thyroid reeling. Every little thing - a period, a bad day, a cold - makes me fear that the the symptoms will come back. I'm seeing a therapist for anxiety but has anyone had experience with this? Can a cold affect the thyroid?

Thanks, Julie

pugeebunnie responded:
Correction, it's turning into the flu!

pugeebunnie replied to pugeebunnie's response:
Anyone?? It's now strep! Ugh...scared this will affect things but I'm optimistic!

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to pugeebunnie's response:
nope won't affect your thyroid.

pugeebunnie replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Fantastic...but how do you know? Last time I felt good, I had surgery and it screwed everything up. My thyroid levels went haywire after anesthia, etc. I'm on antibiotics and I feel like crap right now...spacey from sickness too. Nervous....

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to pugeebunnie's response:
Because when people get sick/colds/flu/strep etc the normal treatment for it doesn't include the checking of thyroid labs or even the doc looking into it.

Surgery is another story. That will mess up your system as a whole since it is a major thing.

Anxiety issues with thyroid issues are common and very VERY annoying. After many years of suffering with them I found relief with a supplement anti-anxiety medication. Therapy alone was not enough to help me function in day to day life. The addition of the right medication helped to return me to a happier life.

pugeebunnie replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Okay, thanks for everything. I know my anxiety is in overdrive right now. I'm feeling more spacey and I have to wonder if that's just a result of the anxiety and not my thyroid. I mean, two weeks ago, my labs were normal so it would seem coincidental that my spaciness would return the minute I start worrying about the sickness affecting my thyroid. My therapist wants to treat my spaciness as solely an effect from anxiety. She cannot say that the thyroid isn't making my feel that way but shes said it's o

pugeebunnie replied to pugeebunnie's response:
whoops...awfully convincing to her that the spaciness often gets better when I self-talk, forget about it, etc. I'm seeing her regularly and I truly hope that the brain fog is a result of the anxiety more than anything because that, at least, I can treat with cognitive therapy, meds, etc. and I'm not just a the whim of my thyroid!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in December of 2009. In June of 2010 I had my thyroid removed.

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.