Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Overactive thyroid patient needs a pacemaker?Hello, I am desperately trying to find help fo She was diagnosed with overactive thyroid in 1999. The dr. tr
KLynn58 posted:
Hello,

I am desperately trying to find help for my 89 yr. old mother. She was diagnosed with overactive Thyroid in 1999.

The dr. tried the radioactive thyroid uptake test and she was one of the 2% as I understand that did not respond to this test so she was

forced to live with occasional afib and fast heart rate. At her age now, she is suffering with high systolic blood pressure and meds to control the high systolic lower her pulse to the 40's and her cardiologist wants to put in a pacemaker.

He has no patients like mom to give us any info or if this is the right step for her. She has a fast heart rate, usually with pulse rates in the 120's, 130s and it last sometimes for 24 hours before
returning to normal. Is a pacemaker able to help when the thyroid is throwing off the hormone responsible for speeding up her heart? Can a pacemaker withstand 24 hours of constantly trying to return her heart rate to say 60 bpm's ?

She has had an endrocronologist several times and they have left and moved from this area and we have a real shortage of drs in this field in the northern kentucky area, about 10 miles
south of Cincinnati, Ohio. Her family dr. checks her tsh about every 4 monthes and she usually has a level of about 0.33 which looks to me to be very low on the normal range list, or
high as thryroid functions works. She just stays on a PTU maintanence dose as they call it and it has worked ok until her low pulse rate became such an issue.
Anyone have advise or info that can help her? She can't get in to see another endrocronologist till August and needs help now.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with HypoThyroid 13 years ago.. and then again recently Currently on 50mcg of Synthroid and attempting to lose weight and feel NORMAL agai...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.