Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
NEED INFO tryosin vs lentils
texas000 posted:
My thyroid was removed due to a tumor. i am suppose to have 500mg tyrosine daily but i heard 1/2 cup of lentils has 500mg tyrosine. can someone please confirm??

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
Your endocrinologist is telling you you need to supplement 500 mg a tyrosine daily?? If that advice isn't coming straight from a board certified endocrinologist, please run it by one before taking the supplement.

Thyroid hormone -- Tyrosine is a precursor to thyroid hormone, so it might raise levels too high when taken with synthetic thyroid hormones.

Read more:http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/tyrosine-000329.htm

Tyrosine is found in soy products, chicken, turkey, fish, peanuts, almonds, avocados, bananas, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds.

Don't see lentils on the list...you need to be aware of your levels if you are taking it so you don't go over board with the additional L-tyro found in the stuff you might be eating daily.

texas000 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
yes, and also found some info on the web that states 36g for fiber, 1000 calcium, iodine, 500mg tyrosine must be taken since no thyroid activity. i take a low dose of synthroid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 28 years old. I'm happily married to my husband James. We have been together for 6 years and married for 5 years. We have 2 wonderful chil...More

Helpful Tips

everyone with a thyroid problem should try them!
many do not believe in the supplements but I know do.I was diagnosed 2 years ago and for 1 whole year I felt horrible, extream fatigue, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.