Skip to content
What can I do to get my hair to start growing back?
Joyparis posted:
Have hypo and been taking Nature-Throid for 4 weeks now...32.5mg. And my hair is still not growing back. My other symptoms are getting better but me losing my hair is just as bad as the other symptoms. Should I be taking a higher dose? I also been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin, 500 mg of vitamin C, 50 mg of Zinc and a Woman's Ultra Mega for hair,skin and nails for about 5 weeks now and my hair is still breaking off. I would love to hear what everyone has to say, because I'm at a loss?

faithp03 responded:
I have hypo also. I have had it for a while until I finally found a doctor that caught it. I had the symptoms, but the doctors kept telling me my levels were normal. Hair falling out, itching, dry scalp, low blood pressure, heart palpitations and occasionally lightheaded feeling and I also had low ferritin levels (very low iron storage blood levels). I thought it was all the low ferritin but, after I got my iron levels back up with IV iron supplementation my hair still kept falling out!! I am still dealing with the hair loss now. I need to go back to the doc to see if my levels are still normal since I have been on my armour thyroid med. The doctor also told me I had low iodine levels. Low iodine can cause hair loss. Low iodine can also cause hypothyroidism. I also found out that all of this can go hand in hand together, the hypothyroidism and the low ferritin/iron stores. I know how you feel about the hair loss because it has really hindered my self confidence.

Joyparis replied to faithp03's response:
Thanks Faith, I know I'm not the only one that is having to deal with this, but your right. Your self confidence is shot. I have been wearing clip on hair extensions, until I get this figured out. You may want to try them. You may feel a little like you old self again. : ) I will talk to my Dr. about my iron levels and see if I need a boost, along with my iodine levels. Thanks for the support...

kiznkitten responded:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
Thyroid Blood tests are NOT accurate for diagnosing Thyroid problems! Your symptoms are the key!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Had a RAI [Oct. 09]. Chose to have RAI since blood work showed hyper, even though most of my life I was hypo. My scores have been mostly in the normal...More

Helpful Tips

everyone with a thyroid problem should try them!
many do not believe in the supplements but I know do.I was diagnosed 2 years ago and for 1 whole year I felt horrible, extream fatigue, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful