Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What can I do to get my hair to start growing back?
Joyparis posted:
Have hypo and been taking Nature-Throid for 4 weeks now...32.5mg. And my hair is still not growing back. My other symptoms are getting better but me losing my hair is just as bad as the other symptoms. Should I be taking a higher dose? I also been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin, 500 mg of vitamin C, 50 mg of Zinc and a Woman's Ultra Mega for hair,skin and nails for about 5 weeks now and my hair is still breaking off. I would love to hear what everyone has to say, because I'm at a loss?

faithp03 responded:
I have hypo also. I have had it for a while until I finally found a doctor that caught it. I had the symptoms, but the doctors kept telling me my levels were normal. Hair falling out, itching, dry scalp, low blood pressure, heart palpitations and occasionally lightheaded feeling and I also had low ferritin levels (very low iron storage blood levels). I thought it was all the low ferritin but, after I got my iron levels back up with IV iron supplementation my hair still kept falling out!! I am still dealing with the hair loss now. I need to go back to the doc to see if my levels are still normal since I have been on my armour thyroid med. The doctor also told me I had low iodine levels. Low iodine can cause hair loss. Low iodine can also cause hypothyroidism. I also found out that all of this can go hand in hand together, the hypothyroidism and the low ferritin/iron stores. I know how you feel about the hair loss because it has really hindered my self confidence.

Joyparis replied to faithp03's response:
Thanks Faith, I know I'm not the only one that is having to deal with this, but your right. Your self confidence is shot. I have been wearing clip on hair extensions, until I get this figured out. You may want to try them. You may feel a little like you old self again. : ) I will talk to my Dr. about my iron levels and see if I need a boost, along with my iodine levels. Thanks for the support...

kiznkitten responded:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
Thyroid Blood tests are NOT accurate for diagnosing Thyroid problems! Your symptoms are the key!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 43 year old happily married man with 2 children. Don't drink, don't smoke, am 5' 9" and weight 154 lbs. My job is an office...More

Helpful Tips

Thyroid Info
Vitamin and nutrient deficiency is one of the main causes of this epidemic. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.