Skip to content
My thyroid
An_244743 posted:
I am 21 years old and last fall my physician found a nodule on my thyroid. She then sent me to get blood work and a sonogram done. My sonogram of my thyroid came up with confirmation of a nodule. She then recommend that i see an endocrinologist. I am from NY and i recently started going to school in NC. It took over a month for my doctors office to make a referral to an endocrinologist, even with my persistent phone calls reminding them to. When i went to the endocrinologists and mentioned that i go to school in NC, he immediately stopped drilling me with questions and said "I can not help you, you might as well leave", put his pen down and refused to even talk about my case.

Seeing as i have no insurance down here and the medicaid in NC is only for the disabled and 65+yrs i do not have that either. So i had to go to a clinic, the nurse felt my neck and took blood. When i went back they said my tests were normal and were too busy to discuss any further.

Even though my tests came back "Normal", I know something is still not right. I'm only 21 and I have a nodule on my thyroid- thats not normal. I have no idea how long I've exactly had it.

I have gained 80 pounds (within almost a year now) and I do not eat differently and i get just as much exercise as normal. The thing is i have absolutely no energy. I sleep way to much and it still doesn't seem like enough. My heart skips beats frequently.

Seeing as i have no insurance, its very hard to find a doctor who will take me and extremely hard to see an endocrinologist. What takes people 3 steps to do, takes me 10 and everyone i come in contact with in the medical field seems incompetent at their job/ and they dont care.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my thyroid removed in November 2010. I believe, strongly, it is my responsbility to understand what this while do to my body and my future. No o...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.