Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Enlarged thyroid, large nodule and breathing difficulty
An_244971 posted:
Hi all,

Several months ago I saw my doctor because of trouble breathing while laying on my back. I'd been ignoring it a while, but would rather sleep on my back if possible because of some chronic neck pain I have.

My doctor was alarmed at the size of my thyroid, even from just a physical exam, and her concerns were later confirmed with an ultrasound (and other gamut of tests). The thyroid is enlarged and I have two 4-cm nodules on either side, which are restricting my breathing when I lay on my back. I've seen both an oncologist and an endocrinologist who've said the masses are too large to shrink with medicine, but at this point surgery is optional.

My question is — I'd still like to sleep on my back at night, but not sure that surgery is worth it. Has anyone had similar problems and figured out a solution? I can sleep in certain recliners just fine, but I'd rather be in my bed. I've also tried propping up pillows and just haven't found the right combination.

Any help/advice would be very welcome! Thanks in advance!

JC

kiznkitten responded:
"Did you know that there are certain foods which can affect your thyroid in a negative way??
They are commonly known as Goitrogenic foods, which means they contain substances which prevent your thyroid from getting its necessary amount of iodine. If eaten in excess, they interfere with the healthy function of your thyroid gland, tilting you in the direction of being even more hypothyroid, or making you susceptible to having a goiter, or enlargement of your thyroid. If you look closely at the word itself, you can see the root word is goiter (goitro-gen)."
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/goitrogens/

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 28 years old. I'm happily married to my husband James. We have been together for 6 years and married for 5 years. We have 2 wonderful chil...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.