Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thyroid Levels
nierman4226 posted:
I had my thyroid removed in 2011. I just had my levels checked yesterday and they are very low. Instead of raising my Levoxyl my doctor wants to lower it from .137mcg to .112mcg. I cannot understand why, if my values are low, she wants to decrease the medication level? Can anyone expain this to me?l

victoria47803 responded:
My Dr. recently raised my Synthroid dosage from .88mcg to .100mcg to lower my levels. I don't understand how it works but lowering your dosage will raise your levels.

tmkplay responded:
There are several levels that are tested, TSH, T3 & T4. If you are only going to a family dr and not an endocrinologist they may only check the TSH, this hormone increases to tell your thyroid to produce more T3/T4. Higher TSH levels mean that your thyroid is low and your medicine dosage should be increased. Low TSH levels mean that you have enough or too much T3/T4.
I hope this helps, you can always ask the Dr to tell you the actual level of each hormone and look up the results.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with HypoThyroid 13 years ago.. and then again recently Currently on 50mcg of Synthroid and attempting to lose weight and feel NORMAL agai...More

Helpful Tips

Thyroid Info
Vitamin and nutrient deficiency is one of the main causes of this epidemic. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.