Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting off Methimazole
z1028 posted:
Hello everyone! Its been a while since ive posted and just wanted to update and ask some questions. Today i saw my endocrinologist for the first time since he decreased my dose to 5mg two months ago and my labs today were TSH 1.0 and free T4 0.031. After a year of this 2 months of it being hypo taking levothyroxine then 10 months on methimazole due to becoming hyper I AM FINALLY STOPPING MY MEDS! I am optimistic of whats to come but im being monitored in a month.

Has anyone had any side effects if theyve stopped methimazole? What should i expect? Thanks.

z1028 responded:
SORRY mixed up the labs its Free T4 1.0 and TSH 0.31

santiago2005 replied to z1028's response:
I haven't been on here in a while either.
I stopped taking methimazoile because I was gaining weight and thought I was hypo.
Well... I went to see my famiy doctor and asked him to do a blood work up cuz I gained 25lbs and I don't consume enough calories in a day. Turns out I am still very hyper active and now taking my meds again. I never noticed a difference when I stopped as to feeling normal or otherwise.
BTW my T4 is 2.80 and TSH is 0.006 but I don't feel it, sometimes maybe but not often.
Good luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 28 years old. I'm happily married to my husband James. We have been together for 6 years and married for 5 years. We have 2 wonderful chil...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.