Skip to content
Getting off Methimazole
z1028 posted:
Hello everyone! Its been a while since ive posted and just wanted to update and ask some questions. Today i saw my endocrinologist for the first time since he decreased my dose to 5mg two months ago and my labs today were TSH 1.0 and free T4 0.031. After a year of this 2 months of it being hypo taking levothyroxine then 10 months on methimazole due to becoming hyper I AM FINALLY STOPPING MY MEDS! I am optimistic of whats to come but im being monitored in a month.

Has anyone had any side effects if theyve stopped methimazole? What should i expect? Thanks.

z1028 responded:
SORRY mixed up the labs its Free T4 1.0 and TSH 0.31

santiago2005 replied to z1028's response:
I haven't been on here in a while either.
I stopped taking methimazoile because I was gaining weight and thought I was hypo.
Well... I went to see my famiy doctor and asked him to do a blood work up cuz I gained 25lbs and I don't consume enough calories in a day. Turns out I am still very hyper active and now taking my meds again. I never noticed a difference when I stopped as to feeling normal or otherwise.
BTW my T4 is 2.80 and TSH is 0.006 but I don't feel it, sometimes maybe but not often.
Good luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful