Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to Adjust Levels
Snowcat4210 posted:
Hello,
Anyone out there going through a bit of depression while waiting to get the right Synthroid dosage? I went from hyperthyroidism to hypo after nuclear ablation in December. It seems like it's taking forever to get my levels right. Also having trouble with weight gain and fat around my middle.
Thanks for any info and/or advice! Glad I found this board.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
Fellow RAI person here. Depression is a normal reaction. Expect a full year after RAI before you stabilize.

I used anti-anxiety meds for a while while I was adjusting post RAI. HELPED TREMENDOUSLY.

Things you can do to help right now.

1. realize that you just underwent a MAJOR medical procedure and it will take time to recover.

2. Eliminate most/all iodine from your diet. (its in everything read labels) Iodine is processed in your thyroid. Every time you use iodized salt you are triggering your thyroid gland to work. Which kind of defeats the slow death via radiation.
Once your labs are stable, then readd it.

3. Give yourself a break. stop/limit all the stimulants (caffine) allow your body to adjust to the replacement thyroid hormone and learn to function on it.

4. plenty of rest - kick all the unnecessary stuff off your plate and slow down a bit.

5. Don't believe the endocrinologists when they say "Oh your going to gain a little weight"

"a little weight" to an endocrinologist = 40 pounds.

welcome to the board, glad you found us

Peace be the journey

Paja (Graves - RAI 2008, levoxl 88mcg)

Snowcat4210 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Thanks, Paja. I hadn't heard that about depression for a year. I had stopped Prozac 20 mg around the time of the ablation so will just start it up again. This blue/depressed feeling comes and goes and makes sense it's the procedure. Now if I could just get the weight gain under control. I'm going to the gym 3 days a week, walking and eating right (1200 calories a day). HOPE it's not gonna be 40 lbs!!
Do you also get hot and cold off and on? I find that it's rare times when I feel just right and not chilly or sweating.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to Snowcat4210's response:
Yes for temp fluxs, prior to RAI I had no trouble tolerating being hot, post RAI I get physically sick if I get too hot. Its no fun.

Age/sex plays into RAI results also. Being a female in my early 40 it threw me into peri-menopausal symptoms. (As if I wasn't already having enough issues, LOL)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 43 year old happily married man with 2 children. Don't drink, don't smoke, am 5' 9" and weight 154 lbs. My job is an office...More

Helpful Tips

Thyroid Info
Vitamin and nutrient deficiency is one of the main causes of this epidemic. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.