Skip to content
"Normal" tests results, yet feeling hypo
Potionsmaster posted:
Hi,

I recently got a blood test, because I was under the impression that I could have a hypothyroidism. The test results, however, were the opposite of what I was expecting, my T4 being normal, even slightly raised, and TSH also being normal-low:

T4: 20 (10-23)
TSH: 1.5 (0.27-4.2)

(Note that I'm from Holland, so the normal ranges may differ from other places.)

Despite having arguably normal T4 and TSH values, I have some symptoms that point at a hypothyroidism:
- (mild) hair loss and thinning
- feeling tired a lot
- difficulty with concentrating
- mood swings
- cold hands and feet/cold intolerance
- foggy thoughts
- dry, itchy skin on my elbows
- and last but not least, it runs in my family (mother, aunt, grandfather and grandmother, all on my mother's side of the family tree).

So as you can see, I have a bit of a problem here. I'm contacting my doctor tomorrow, but I can already hear him say something between the lines of "your thyroid function is normal, go have some rest".

Any help please?

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
Thyroid's are maddening to get diagnosised. You can be symptomatic for years before it will show up on your labs.

I had all the classic symptoms of HYPO but was actually HYPER.

One thing you can do to see if helps is to temporally eliminate iodine from your diet and see if your symptoms improve. (read labels its in a LOT of things you would not expect)

Iodine is processed in the thyroid so the theory is your making the thyroid work each time you eat it. If its already sluggish your taxing it. Stopping iodine should free the thyroid up to focus on what its supposed to be doing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My gynecologist found a nodule on my thyroid in late 2004. After the biopsy was determined to be inconclusive, I had surgery to remove the right side ...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.