Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thyroid calcification, laryngeal crepitus, neck pain, etc..
throatgrind posted:
I was just wondering if anyone out there has been told that they have calcification of their thyroid gland, but don't have any palpable thyroid masses/nodules or enlargement.

Brief history of myself.. for 2.5 years I have had chronic mild to moderate neck pain on the right side of my neck with foreign body sensation in throat and laryngeal crepitus in right side of throat (throat grinds/clicks/pops when swallowing). I have had 2 laryngoscopes performed, an upper GI endoscopy and a CT scan (2 years ago) which showed "nothing". I have investigated acid reflux, TMJ, Eagles Syndrome and hyoid syndrome as possibilites for my symptoms, but all been dismissed by physicians and oral surgeons I have seen. No one has rendered a diagnosis, other than possibly inflammatory/musculoskeletal issue in my neck/throat (?).

At the end of last week, I finally just went to a chiropractor to seek some relief from my discomfort. They did a routine x-ray of my neck and said my thyroid gland was calcified.

Now I wonder if my symptoms could all be related to an undiagnosed thyroid issue? I know calcification of the gland is not "normal", but he didn't seem to think it was a big deal b/c I have no masses or visible/palpable enlargement and my most "recent" (9 months ago) TSH test was normal.

Could chronic inflammation of the thyroid gland cause this calcification without causing significant gland enlargment or alterations of thyroid tests?

Does anyone have any input or advice on this? Please share.

Thanks

xrayGreg responded:
We haven't found out either, however we came up against the same exact problem as you. We also found out after being xrayed by our Chiropractor. We are in the process of being seen by our Oncologist and Spine Surgeon. I had Spinal Fusion in January of 2011. There was no calcified thyroid at that time. We will write and let you know what we find out. You can e-mail us at thegdsmiths@gmail.com Stay well, XRAYGREG

Sweetmona responded:
It's Oct, 2013 so don't know if you guys are still following this thread. I'm a healthy female, mid-30's, who started experiencing these symptoms to a T this past May.

I have been for the same tests with the same results as Throatgrind. Ultrasound, x-ray, blood work, scope, dentist, chiro, manual exam - everything is fine but dentist and ENT believe swallowing/frog-in-throat issues are a result of reflux. Coinciding with the onset of these symptoms was the "crepitus" feeling of clicking and misalignment in my throat/neck- usually just a strange sensation, other times uncomfortable and occasionally painful.

Tecta (an antacid) helped with the swallowing/frog-in-throat sensation but has, of course, done nothing for the crepitus feeling which, according to my doctors is normal, just that I am more acutely aware of it than most.

I believe that had I not developed the reflux issue which caused excess mucous and difficulty swallowing I would not have become so aware of the crepitus thing. Anyhow, with one under control and my mind at ease that all is normal, I am going to try to find a way to reduce the crepitus feeling.

I have had some improvement with chiro, and believe that strengthening the muscles in the neck area may help to keep things 'on track'.

Throatgrind - put your mind at ease with a simple blood test for thyroid levels. Also, good quality organic Turmeric capsules from a proper health food store are an excellent anti-inflammatory and can help everything from arthritis pain to generalized internal inflammation.

Cheers

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.