Skip to content
Recommend subtotal or total thyroidectomy?
An_247070 posted:
I've discovered this thyroid problem 6 years ago. During these past years, none of the doctors put me on thyroid medication; they all suggested surgery. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis one year ago, when only my TPoAB levels were high=29. However, I checked my thyroid levels a few days ago, and they were all within normal range, including my TPoAB. On my left lobe, I have an adenoma that is 5.4x3.9x4.0cm. On my right lobe, I have an adenoma that's 1.3x1.4cm. I have lymphocitic thyroiditis (doesn't say chronic). I have no symptoms at all! Is this still considered Hashimoto's even? I've also noticed that during these past 6 years, while my left lobe keeps getting bigger, my right lobe gets smaller (though in small quantities). I do have compression symptoms. Would you think total or subtotal thyroidectomy is appropriate? I'm afraid that with subtotal, adenomas might grow again and would require surgery again. But I also don't want to be on thyroid medication for life. What is the chance for it to develop into cancer if I do subtotal thyroidectomy? Any helps is appreciated!

Take the Poll

Would you recommend subtotal or total thyroidectomy?
  • Total
  • Subtotal
vote
View Poll Results

An_247167 responded:
Yes, it means daily synthroid but that will happen eventually when your Hashimoto's finally burns out your thyroid.
I had Hashimoto's for years before my levels started tweaking out. Dumping enough to give me chest pains, then quitting completely... then coming back to normal.
Having a 'cardiac event' at 36 when your last blood test (weeks prior) was normal - terrifying. Training your children to remind you when the light turns green because you nod off unexpectedly - indescribable.
While this is all happening, you wear yourself out trying to get your doctor to check your levels weekly.
I was scared too, but it definitely took the irregularity out of my life.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at age 33 with Graves disease in October 2011 and received RAI treatment November 2011. My symptoms of hyperthyroidism/Graves disease ...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful