Skip to content
Recommend subtotal or total thyroidectomy?
An_247070 posted:
I've discovered this thyroid problem 6 years ago. During these past years, none of the doctors put me on thyroid medication; they all suggested surgery. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis one year ago, when only my TPoAB levels were high=29. However, I checked my thyroid levels a few days ago, and they were all within normal range, including my TPoAB. On my left lobe, I have an adenoma that is 5.4x3.9x4.0cm. On my right lobe, I have an adenoma that's 1.3x1.4cm. I have lymphocitic thyroiditis (doesn't say chronic). I have no symptoms at all! Is this still considered Hashimoto's even? I've also noticed that during these past 6 years, while my left lobe keeps getting bigger, my right lobe gets smaller (though in small quantities). I do have compression symptoms. Would you think total or subtotal thyroidectomy is appropriate? I'm afraid that with subtotal, adenomas might grow again and would require surgery again. But I also don't want to be on thyroid medication for life. What is the chance for it to develop into cancer if I do subtotal thyroidectomy? Any helps is appreciated!

Take the Poll

Would you recommend subtotal or total thyroidectomy?
  • Total
  • Subtotal
vote
View Poll Results

An_247167 responded:
Yes, it means daily synthroid but that will happen eventually when your Hashimoto's finally burns out your thyroid.
I had Hashimoto's for years before my levels started tweaking out. Dumping enough to give me chest pains, then quitting completely... then coming back to normal.
Having a 'cardiac event' at 36 when your last blood test (weeks prior) was normal - terrifying. Training your children to remind you when the light turns green because you nod off unexpectedly - indescribable.
While this is all happening, you wear yourself out trying to get your doctor to check your levels weekly.
I was scared too, but it definitely took the irregularity out of my life.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed at age 33 with Graves disease in October 2011 and received RAI treatment November 2011. My symptoms of hyperthyroidism/Graves disease ...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.