Skip to content
Hypothyroidism questions. Please help.
redisbetter posted:
Hi. I am a 28 year old female, and about a month ago my doctor tested my TSH levels (I still don't know why he decided to do it). I don't remember exactly what my levels were, but the doctor said it looked like I might have a little hypothyroidism going on. I think they were around 7.44 (I was partially asleep when I was told this over the phone). He said he wants to retest me in 6 months. Is this a normal time frame?

Also, I looked up the symptoms. It appears that I have some of the symptoms. I have gained weight, my skin is dry (especially on my legs), tired all of the time, and I suffered from constipation pretty much my entire life. I was attributing these to other issues (which they still could be). My doctor doesn't know any of these except for the weight gain; he felt the need to tell me how much weight I had gained in almost two years since the last time I saw him.

wallis52 responded:
If your TSH level really was 7.44 (maybe you should ask again and also ask for the T3 T4 levels) then you could very well be hypothyroid. In my own case, 7.44 would be considered far too high. The norm is generally considered .3-3.0. Some disagree with this norm, and consider up to 4 as normal. Personally, I question even 4 as normal.

In any case, I would want to know why your doctor does not consider it a sensible idea to consider thyroid replacement now. Considering your clinical picture, which is as important as a blood test, I would recommend that you follow up on this TSH level now, and not wait another 6 months.

ru352002 responded:
When I was first tested mine was way to high at 6.38 so 7.44 is off the chart and you need to get retested and start taking something now

and let him know about the other symptoms

redisbetter replied to wallis52's response:
I found out today that my TSH level was actually 7.7 and my T4 was .84. I had to see a nurse practitioner since my doctor is out for the week. She said she would have started treating it, but every doctor has their own way.

redisbetter replied to ru352002's response:
I found out today that my TSH level was actually 7.7 and my T4 was .84. I had to see a nurse practitioner since my doctor is out for the week. She said she would have started treating it, but every doctor has their own way.

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.