Skip to content
Confused
babibuni2004 posted:
Hi Everyone. I am newly diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, and have to start my medicine in the morning. What my question is my thyroid has been tested twice before and it came back on the money normal. It was tested again on Monday and it came back way not normal. Does anyone know what would cause that? Also I've kept telling my doctor for years, that I feel like I have some sort of autoimmune disease, what autoimmune disorders cause hypothyroidism?

pammjschaar responded:
Hi babibuni,
I am VERY new here also and kind of the disease, disorder, illness or whatever it is. (It's horrible is what it is!!)

I saw that no one responded to your question for 5 days and I know how that feels, so I didn't want you to feel alone here.

I had my thyroid tested years (I am 45) ago and it came back normal, well, after several stressful years of shoulder surgeries, 5 to be exact, and moving back home after living 13 years in another state, which finally felt like home to me and was the ONLY home my 15yr old knew, I wasn't very happy.
We moved back to MS 2 years ago now and I have been sick, severely depressed and so stressed the entire time. So, I guess I told you all of that to say this; None of the doctors that I have seen have told me what has caused mine. All they said was I had it, it is an auto-immune disease and here is your prescription. I was not even told how I was supposed to take the medicine, as that is very important to know, by my doctor or pharmacist. I just found out that others in my family (sisters, nieces) have it, or have had theirs removed, and was told by them and everyone I have met that has/had it that you NEVER take the Generic form of Synthroid, but ALWAYS get the Brand. Not that it would be lethal, as I don't want to scare anyone, but they all said it worked better and they were RIGHT! After having taken the Generic Synthroid for 3 months and not feeling better, but seemingly worse, I felt better on the Brand, after just one week. Plus, we were very worried that the Brand would be super expensive and "just knew" my insurance wouldn't pay for Brand. We have Brand Rx Sticker Shock after 1 of our son's meds went from $40 to $188 !!! So, we knew we it would be outrageous, and just never asked. Finally, after it seemed I had a relapse, if that makes sense...it felt like I was all the way back 3 months when first diagnosed and I had started going into depression again, hubby asked about Brand and it was only $17 off insurance!
I am sorry that I cannot answer your question, maybe searching around more on the internet may help. I have just decided, TODAY, to get more involved in my Disease/Disorder. The doctors did tell me that I have had the Hypo, for much longer than 2 years, and I knew something was wrong but no one thought to check my Thyroid when I was going to my Family doc saying something is NOT right!
Moved to MS...... And one of my sisters (72yrs old too!) started saying things about me to others in our very LARGE, "Christian" , many times judgmental/hypocritical family THAT IT SEEMED LIKE I WAS ON DRUGS!!!!!!!!! Well, I had Major Depressive Disorder and it hit me bad here in MS, had never had depression in my life, but it was brought on by the Thyroid, and since I would be in bed for months, seriously, months at a time, I guess she decided that was what was wrong, drugs. That is when I got myself out of bed angrily and not easily and found an OB/GYN here and went to see her about what was wrong with me. I must have given her 8 -10 in total of all visits, tubes of blood and I finally had a diagnosis. She immediately put me on Paxil 20MG for depression, and I have been on it now 4 months, I think, I have bad memory problems with mine. I think it is working, but me and hubby are still not doing well. This has almost destroyed my marriage. She was very concerned about the depression. OK, I am rambling...
Anyway, I just wanted to write to you, and maybe we can keep in touch. This is my first time posting here, and when I clicked on your post and noticed the 5 day thing, that no one had responded, that bothered me. I am here for you, if you ever need to talk, I don't know all the answers, but I can sure help you find them...maybe O_o I am just starting to learn after being diagnosed and sick for a while. I have been avoiding it. Take care and I hope you find what you are looking for. I would like to know that answer as well!! That is a good question.
~Peace~
Pam

pammjschaar replied to pammjschaar's response:
OH MY GOODNESS, I didn't mean to Type that much! Sorry to Everyone. I guess, I was just sharing part of my story....

O_o Pam

justcallmenan responded:
Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid gland. You can have hypothyroidism because of that or other causes. The treatments are sometimes similar / different varying on doctors.
Search for "Hashimoto's" online for more info.

Anon_129722 responded:
My bloodwork has come back normal a couple times in my 4 years of diagnosis and I definitely have Hashimoto's disease(premature menopause and all). Sometimes there are just weird flukes like that. Either way, if your bloodwork is fluctuating your thyroid obviously is too. Take your synthroid (or whatever) and enjoy the benefits of knowing your thyroid is under control!

You could look into hashimoto's and see about getting your blood tested for the antibodies associated with the disease. If you do have Hashimoto's, at least one positive thing is that it is a very specific diagnosis and the research you do on your condition is almost personalized for you.

Good luck! Hope you get answers soon!

Best,
A.M.M. (20y.o./hashimotos/premature menopause/bipolar/anxiety/scoliosis/wheat allergy)

amil135 replied to pammjschaar's response:
Hi Pam,

I'm glad to see you have gotten your health problems under better control.

Right now I am very interested in the mood problems that come with our disease. Have you seen a psychiatrist about your mood problems? Not to scare you, but I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, which I have read is strangely linked to Hashimoto's/ thyroid problems.

The connection between all the thyroid problems and the mood problems has made it really hard for me to keep myself together. It seems like there is always something going on to hinder my ability to just be normal.

[br>I have lots of experience with ruining all sorts of relationships over things like this. The worst is when my family cannot relate to me because of all my issues. Your marriage is such a precious thing! You can never be too safe....I can't say it enough: Psychiatry has made such a positive impact for me.

If your mood doesn't improve enough to satisfy you, maybe you should see a psychiatrist and get more specific treatment for your mood problems.

With the appropriate medications for my problems, I am really seeing improvement.

I wish you luck in finding relief and I hope my long post has been somewhat helpful. If anything I hope you know you can always keep in touch with me if you need a little support!

Best,

AMM

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my thyroid removed in November 2010. I believe, strongly, it is my responsbility to understand what this while do to my body and my future. No o...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.