Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hypothyroidism and PCOS need support
An_248507 posted:
I am currently 18 years old and I found out I had PCOS after randomly not getting my period for over a year when I was 16. I started taking birth control to maintain my hormone levels. I gained twenty pounds and it was really hard for me to deal with because I never struggled with being overweight. When getting my blood work results back a couple months later to make sure my hormone levels were at a balanced level it showed up that my thyroid was out of whack. I went and saw an endocrinologist and found out i had hypothyroidism. All of this was a lot for me to handle because I was such a healthy child, never got sick, and couldn't understand why these things happened to me. After struggling for 3 years my thyroid levels are maintained with synthroid and I have tried three different birth controls for PCOS. I feel like i'm at a constant struggle with losing weight and trying to clear up my acne. I've stopped taking my birth control many times because I was so discouraged from not being able to lose weight. This would only lead to not getting my period but I did notice weight lose. I have been on Ortho Tri-cyclen, Be yaz, and now Kariva. All resulting in an obvious amount of weight gain even though all the doctors say birth control doesn't cause this. I am so discouraged and feel like I am going to be unhappy forever. About a year ago I met with a nutritionist and she gave me a full meal plan, needless to say it did nothing. I now weigh 154 lbs and I am about five feet four inches. I try to workout at least four times a week and eat as healthy as I can. I am just looking for someone who is also in my shoes, or any support or advice anyone has to offer. Please tell me i'm not alone and there is hope?!

Spotlight: Member Stories

20 years old; female; college art student; aspiring art therapist. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at age 16 after I had a year sans menstruatio...More

Helpful Tips

Hi
In regards to thyroid issues it's interesting how the thyroids works. I actually had my thyroid removed earlier this year because I had an ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.