Skip to content
Fluid filled cyst on right thyroid - How to deal?
Anon_237760 posted:

Tuesday PM I noticed some swelling at the base of the front of my neck, just to the right side. A few hours later it started to feel tender, and since then it has become painful to yawn, laugh, swallow, or move my head. Not an intolerable pain, but certainly uncomfortable and irritating.

I went to my doctor today, where they measured a 99.8º temp (I am usually around 97., which was a surprise to me as I haven't felt particularly feverish save for maybe a couple hours yesterday afternoon. No other glands seem to be swollen, so my doctor suspected thyroid and ordered a blood test and ultrasound. I have had both of those done and am awaiting results.

The ultrasound tech told me off the record that I have a fluid filled cyst on my right thyroid. She suggested that I should not be worried. She implied that a biopsy would have been ordered due to its size had there been any solids present, but since it is all fluid that will not be the case. More likely than not, it will be a monitor-over-time situation. (She really emphasized that I should not worry myself.)

In the meantime, while I await the test results, are there any lifestyle changes I should make? Nobody told me how to act, other than that I could take advil to decrease the pain. Should I stay home, get rest? Should I avoid exercise? Talking? How about alcohol? And, does anyone know of any other ways to help relieve the discomfort?

Any advice is highly appreciated. (As are reassurances, because despite the suggestions to keep calm, I am really kind of freaking out about the whole thing.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

Revised: New Features in Exchanges!
Dear Members, You may have noticed some changes that happened to your Exchange after last weekeend. We rolled out a few new features and ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 19 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.