Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fluid filled cyst on right thyroid - How to deal?
Anon_237760 posted:
Hello,

Tuesday PM I noticed some swelling at the base of the front of my neck, just to the right side. A few hours later it started to feel tender, and since then it has become painful to yawn, laugh, swallow, or move my head. Not an intolerable pain, but certainly uncomfortable and irritating.

I went to my doctor today, where they measured a 99.8º temp (I am usually around 97., which was a surprise to me as I haven't felt particularly feverish save for maybe a couple hours yesterday afternoon. No other glands seem to be swollen, so my doctor suspected thyroid and ordered a blood test and ultrasound. I have had both of those done and am awaiting results.

The ultrasound tech told me off the record that I have a fluid filled cyst on my right thyroid. She suggested that I should not be worried. She implied that a biopsy would have been ordered due to its size had there been any solids present, but since it is all fluid that will not be the case. More likely than not, it will be a monitor-over-time situation. (She really emphasized that I should not worry myself.)

In the meantime, while I await the test results, are there any lifestyle changes I should make? Nobody told me how to act, other than that I could take advil to decrease the pain. Should I stay home, get rest? Should I avoid exercise? Talking? How about alcohol? And, does anyone know of any other ways to help relieve the discomfort?

Any advice is highly appreciated. (As are reassurances, because despite the suggestions to keep calm, I am really kind of freaking out about the whole thing.)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had thyroid cancer at the age of 18, back in 1996. Had a total thyroidectomy, and have to rely on my thyroid medication to regulate my body ever sin...More

Helpful Tips

Hi
In regards to thyroid issues it's interesting how the thyroids works. I actually had my thyroid removed earlier this year because I had an ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.