Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TSH Symptoms
Chazbo1948 posted:
I am a 65 year old male. Over 10 years ago I had a partial thyroidectomy with the left lobe being removed. No cancer found. For a few years I did not take medication. When a TSH test was high my doctor put me on 25mcg of synthroid. A few years later when it was high again the dose was doubled to 50mcg. That dose has been sufficient until my last blood test 6 months ago showed a high TSH of 4.95. My doctor decided against raising the dosage. Over the past couple of months I've had a few episodes where I wake up in the morning feeling light-headed/mildly dizzy/foggy. Sometimes it goes away in a few hours but it has lasted all day as well. I'm able to go to work but just don't feel right. I've also gained weight over the years even though I bicycle up to 100 miles/week. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms? What would be considered the optimal TSH level for a man my age?

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
you TSH is still on the low side. Did they also run a free T4?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 46 and was diagnosed with Grave's disease feb of '10. I was hypo then extreme hyper. In the progression of Grave's I wished someone ...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.