Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Hyperthyroidism cause hives?
An_249680 posted:
I actually have Hypothyroidism. I have been taking the same meds for 2 years.. but they upped my dose about 4 months ago. In the last two weeks I have had several symptoms that my dose may be too high. Rapid heart rate, HORRIBLE anxiety,restlessness and more. Anyway- about the same time I started randomly getting hives. It's almost always in the afternoon to evening- at first I thought I was allergic to something but it is really so random that I haven't been able to pin down the culprit- so is it possible that over-medicating could also be causing hives?

P.S.- I'm going to the Doc ASAP- they are closed today, so I have to call in the morning but I should be able to get in really quick.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
Insist they run a TSH and FT4 on you. Sounds like they nudged you up too much.

When did you last refill your med? around same time symptoms started? that may be the culprit, especially if you use generic.

Ambielee replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
k, I will. I believe it was about 3-4 weeks ago that I refilled. Symptoms have been for about 3 weeks. I'm on Levothyroxine.I will be sure to get the TSH and FT4. The hives are mostly in the evening- but don't seem to food related. Not as bad though- now that I know to watch for them I notice them way sooner and can take some allergy meds and they go away. The anixiety is not helping when I get hives I start to panic! First time ever I can't wait to get into the Dr, I have been so miserable. I thought it was just stress but then I started researching and suddenly it made total sense. Thanks for responding!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2004. I took medication for a year and felt great. Then I lost my job and I didn't have insurance. I stopp...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.