Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Natural remedy instead of perscriptions??
traciemarie6 posted:
Hello, I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago. I have been up and down with dosages and moved back and forth between Synthroid and other brands. I am currently on only 75mg (and I KNOW that my dosage needs to be raised because I have very strong symptoms) but I don't like taking chemical medication. I am interested in knowing if there are natural medicines or anything of the sort that any of you know about/use? Anything helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mountainmom48 responded:
My understanding of thyroid disease is that it doesn't resolve and one must take the medicine for life. I imagine that is a difficult prospect for you, given your young age, but not keeping your thyroid in check would be detrimental to your health. Have you talked with your doctor about your concerns? Perhaps a little more education will help you feel more confident in your medical care. Additionally, do get some updated lab so you can feel assured that your dose is correct. Good luck!

jlkates responded:
Yes, there are two natural thryroid medications on the market. The problem you may run into is whether your pharmacy carries it. The other concern I have run into is that Endorcronoligist do not sway from the chemical drugs. Only after I was referred back to my regular doctor, to be monitored, was I able to get the prescription for the natural thyroid. I use Nature Thyroid and I have noticed alot of the side affects from the chemical (like dry mouth) have disappeared. I highly recommend it.
jlkates

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 43 year old happily married man with 2 children. Don't drink, don't smoke, am 5' 9" and weight 154 lbs. My job is an office...More

Helpful Tips

Hi
In regards to thyroid issues it's interesting how the thyroids works. I actually had my thyroid removed earlier this year because I had an ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.