Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Got a dumb doctor and need help
caleb28525 posted:
I have had hypothyroidism since 2010 and just within the past year I have been in and out of the hospitals for pericarditist and have had two lung tubes put in one on left side and then this past October one on the right side. I feel weak and tired, legs and arms hurt all the time and I have had blood work done by pulmonary doctor, my primary doctor. and also cardiologist and rheumatologist at hospital and none can pin point why this is happening. I keep getting passed to another doctor. I went in this past Wednesday and saw the endocrinologist and she said these symptoms have nothing to do with my thyroid. But I have read the internet and talked to other doctors who say different but this endocrinologist tells me not to believe what I see on the internet and she treats many with hypothyroidism and I should go back and see a lung doctor or cardiologist again. I ended up raising hell and now the pulmonary doctor is sending me to chapel hill medical school for more intense testing. I have no idea what to do. Can't tell the doctor nothing she seems to know it all and I am still hurting and having problems. We did increase the dosage of levothyroxine each sunday to one and a half pill then one a day Monday thru Saturday for three weeks.

An_250567 responded:
Are you checking thyroid labs regularly, every 8 weeks or so to make certain your meds are keeping you at appropriate levels? Do you know if your hypothyroidism is hashimoto's or idiopathic? If it is the former, perhaps you are experiencing systemic inflammation due to another undiagnosed autoimmune disorder.

Also, since you said you've talked with a number of docs who think this could be thyroid related, why not transfer records to one of these docs?

Good luck. Hope you get relief.

caleb28525 replied to An_250567's response:
At first she thought it was hasimotos then called me back and said no it was only regular hypothyroid. the other doctors don't treat thyroid issues. the pulmonary doc is sending me to chapel hill school of medicine to run tests. Thyroid levels been normal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in December of 2009. In June of 2010 I had my thyroid removed.

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.