Skip to content
Nodule Biopsies, what next?
concernedirritable posted:
I am trying to figure out if I need thyroid medication (Hashimotot's) or Anxiety medication.

Symptoms: Irritability, ongoing for months now, Anxiety

I just received my blood test results: (39 yr old male)

T4 Free pmol/L (Referance Value = 8.0-18.0) = 11.7 TSH mIU/L (Referance Value = 0.40-4.40) = 4.49
Anti-TPO IU/mL (Referance Value = 0.00-9.00) = 69.00 H

Results of Ultra Sound Test:

"Ultrasound of the Thyroid With Duplex Doppler: The left lobe of the thyroid showed multiple nodules. The largest was more proximal in location measuring 8.5 x 9.5 x 12 mm and showed a very thick hyperechoic margin with isoechoic center. Two additional similar nodules were seen in the anterior part of the left lobe measuring 8.5 and 4.5 mm respectively. In addition, the left lobe shows an abnormal texture. It appears quite hypoechoic and has micronodular pattern in it. These types of findings are quite suggestive of Hashimoto's disease.

The isthmus appeared normal. The right side showed a somewhat different appearing nodule in the lower pole, which showed an echogenic texture and relatively thin hypoechoic border. It measured 7.2 x 9.5 x 13.4 mm. An additional smaller nodule was seen in the medial aspect of the right lobe, which showed the appearance similar to the lesions on the left side with thick border measuring 6 mm in diameter.

Duplex Doppler study was obtained, which showed surprisingly extensive vascularity involving the thyroid lobes but especially the nodules with very vascular borders but also in the texture. Diagnosis: The complex findings suggested underlying texture of possible Hashimoto's disease. In addition, three nodules were seen on the left side and two on the right side in addition to a few micronodules and microcysts. The nodules were unusual in appearance as described and the largest on the left side may warrant a needle biopsy."

I started reading on the Internet on some website that some of these nodules could be malignant, so I hurried up and went to a private clinic and had a biopsy done on the 2 largest ones, one on the left and one on the right as well as a Laryngoscopy Diagnostic because my throat is starting to feel inflated a bit and the fact that I have been splitting some phlegm (Clear and sometimes brownish) in the morning for years now...

I thought it was the smoking but not sure now since I've stopped smoking 4 months ago. Also, my heart started getting some stabbing feeling last week and some pressure on it, this lasted 5 days.... I'm feeling very anxious and Very irritable... I will meet with the doctor who did the biopsy for a follow up March 26th...

Not sure if I need medication for thyroid or for anxiety anymore... I also got some T3 tests done and will get those results on April 3rd than I will go see the Endo as well... I feel like a mess right now but at least all this is getting done... Any advice or Comments appreciated...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 46 and was diagnosed with Grave's disease feb of '10. I was hypo then extreme hyper. In the progression of Grave's I wished someone ...More

Helpful Tips

everyone with a thyroid problem should try them!
many do not believe in the supplements but I know do.I was diagnosed 2 years ago and for 1 whole year I felt horrible, extream fatigue, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.