Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Refuse/postpone surgery
redheadedcat posted:
I have a 2 cm thyroid nodule that came back suspicious from FNA/Afirma testing. The doctor recommends surgery to remove it. However, I'm going through some severe depression and anxiety due to the fact that my boyfriend left me during my testing, accusing me of not "going with the flow."

I'm in no psychological state to handle surgery, isolation, scarring, and potential side effects (weight gain, lethargy) from having my thyroid removed. I'm already having panic attacks and insomnia due to my fear of never finding another partner.

I have no symptoms or pain from my nodule. I'm inclined to just watch and wait and leave the surgical option alone until my life is in a better place and I have the love, support, and mental health needed to deal with it. Has anyone else taken this approach?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with HypoThyroid 13 years ago.. and then again recently Currently on 50mcg of Synthroid and attempting to lose weight and feel NORMAL agai...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.