Skip to content
To Biopsy or Not To Biopsy....
cynjul posted:
Went to an endocrinologist today after finding a lump in the front, bottom of my neck. Already had iodine uptake scan and ultrasound which confirmed that I had a nodule 1.4 x 1.2 x0.8 cm (as well as several smaller ones), the nodule is solid, "cold" and my bloodwork shows normal Thyroid levels. I've also had hoarseness. Both reports stated that a FNB may be considered. So.....I saw the Endocrinologist, prepared to be told I needed to have a biopsy but he said that the nodule was borderline and that I should have another Ultra Sound done in 6 months, "we'll keep an eye on it". I was surprised and when I told him the list of things that would make this "suspicious" according to my research, he said "ok, since you brought up some good points, we'll have you go for the biopsy for some piece of mind". He also stated that I would have to go for another US in 6 mos anyway and Thyroid CA is so slow growing that it wouldn't make a difference. Then I asked, well what about Anaplastic Thyroid CA? His answer was that first it was so rare that it was extremely unlikely that I had it and that even if I did, there was nothing that could be done for it anyway.
What do you think about this? What would you do or have done??

Spotlight: Member Stories

Partial Thyroidectom 1/07 Synthroid 75mcgs TSH 2.5

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.