Skip to content
I think I have hashi's...
ExpatJenn posted:
A brief history... I've been battling infertility for 7 years and gone through several IVF cycles with donor eggs--and still no baby. I went to an immune reproductive doctor and found out I have a few blood clotting gene mutations and she diagnosed me with hashi's and mixed connective tissue disorder. I just turned 40. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, but have been given differing opinions from doctors as to if it's Hashimoto's or not...
If anyone can give me any insight, I'd be very grateful!!
I'm defintitely tired a lot, but also found out my Vit D, Vit B12, and iron were VERY low. Now those things are in normal range and am taking supplements. I also (due to benign tumors in my abdomen-surgery X3 in the mid 90's) only have half my intestines (both large and small).
-So I saw a hormone doctor after a miscarriage and she did spit test to check out my adrenals. My hormones were low (expected with early miscarriage), but my cortisol was just barely low. She did TSH just said I had hypothyroidism
-Saw a rheumatologst who checked my anti-thyroglobulin antibodies (just a little bit high-my number was 40 and normal was under 20) and anti-antiperioxidase antibodies (normal)
-Saw an actual endocrinologst here in Kiev (I'm living here at the momment) and she said I DO NOT have hashi's, just hypo and she even did an ultraound and just said my thyroid is inflamed some. She said it didn't look like hashi's.
-Saw reproductive immunologist in chicago and she said I DO HAVE hashi's...
Just not sure what to think... I am not on 75mcgs of syntroid and my thyroid is staying around 1...which is good. I've been checked for RA, Lupus, and celiac and all tests have been negative. But, I think if I do have hashi's--I should be eating gluten free and anti-inflamatory foods...
Anyone with advice?
ExpatJenn

mountainmom48 responded:
You have hashimoto's thyroiditis as confirmed with the anti-thyroglobulin antibodies test. It doesn't matter if your hypo is autoimmune or not; it is treated the same, with synthroid or generic version. Because your hypo is autoimmune, you will find that over time, your thyroid function will decline and you'll need to continue to adjust dosage to maintain appropriate levels. Hope you're supplementing the cal/vitD and iron. Have you had a bone density test? Hypo is a cause of bone thinning. I bet if you're low in vit D, you may show some signs of bone thinning. Some docs say gluten free helps with hashi. I've not tried that, but considering it. Its important to take your medicine on an empty stomach (no calcium foods or supplements four hours before or for one hour after. Also, if you take calcium/vit D supplements, space them out as the body can only absorb 500-600mg of calcium at a time. Good luck!

I'm sorry about your miscarriage and infertility.

thegidget responded:
This bothers me when doctor`s keep diagnosing with Hashimoto`s Thyroiditis.
I was diagnosed with it four years ago. The student doctor I was seeing at the time (she was amazing and caught the disorder) she said that Hashimoto`s is when the thyroid bounces between Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism and then eventually is Hypo.
That took me about four months to become Hypo. Thats it.
So as long as you`re taking synthroid or something for hypo you should level out to normal or maybe need to be upped.
They say wait three months for the medication to work then do a blood test and then they`ll decide on your dosage.
I think I went up 2-3x my first year and almost every year my medication goes up. I`ve gone up, I want to say 7x in the past 4 years.
I would stick with your Endocrinologist. Doctors have to know a little bit of everything but an Endocrinologist just studies the hormones.
Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

About Me: I'm a wife and a mom. Why I came to WebMD: To become a better informed health consumer. I'm a baby boomer facing the same cha...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.