Skip to content
hypothyroidism and iron deficiency
An_251995 posted:
I have hypothyroidism as well as iron deficiency anemia. Despite taking medications, still feel cold especially on my extremities. Any advice on how I could prevent this constant feeling of being cold

mountainmom48 responded:
Do you take thyroid medicine? Are you monitoring it every few months to be certain your levels are within an appropriate range? What are you doing about anemia? I'm assuming it is, but is your hypo autoimmune? If so, you may have an autoimmune iron absorption problem called pernicious anemia.

An_251995 replied to mountainmom48's response:
thank you for your reply my hypothyroidism is not autoimmunte. i inherited it either from my mother's side or father's.yes i do take levo thyroxine and been monitoring it every few months. but i have been very careless with my iron medication, my previous reading for iron levels was 10 ng/ml, when the normal range is 12-150 ng/ml. i take ferrous gluconate, and recently i started taking them regularly as well, so was hoping for the symptoms to get better.. but haven't been seeing any changes. so thought may be i could take some other supplements that could help hence my query

mountainmom48 replied to An_251995's response:
Autoimmunity is inherited. Hypothyroidism *not* autoimmune is from diet. Nearly everyone in the US or developed country has autoimmune hypothyroidism because our diets include iodine. In underdeveloped countries, where iodine is lacking, hypothyroidism can be corrected with medicine and then diet. If you have to take thyroid supplements the rest of your life, it is likely you have hashimoto hypothyroidism which is autoimmune. The reason I'm saying this is because if you are having symptoms and if you have hashi, then your thyroid may be failing a little again and you might need more levothyroxine. If you are having symptoms, you are likely over or under medicated. The feeling of cold may be a symptom of undertreated hypo rather than iron deficiency. Obviously you know yourself so I'm not trying to present my comments as "this is what you should do", just trying to offer some comments that might ring true for you in some way. Hope you get relief soon!

Shweta75 replied to mountainmom48's response:
thank you for your suggestions, il surely take this up with my doc

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 40 year old female and have been treating my manic depression with Lithium therapy for about 10 years,straight.I had no idea of the dangers ...More

Helpful Tips

everyone with a thyroid problem should try them!
many do not believe in the supplements but I know do.I was diagnosed 2 years ago and for 1 whole year I felt horrible, extream fatigue, ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.