Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can Zoloft cause Elevated TSH level (Hypothyroidism)? I'm only 20!
An_252605 posted:
I'm 20 years old and I went to the doctor for my yearly physical and I mentioned some concerns. She decided to have me get a blood test done. Everything is normal, except I'm low on iron and my thyroid. My iron is at 45 and it should be between 50-212. I'm not that far outside the range but considering I'm only 20, you would think I'd be up higher like in the middle. But anyway, my TSH 3rd Gen SerPl QN is 5.022 and it should be between 0.400-4.200. I'm on Zoloft 50 mg for anxiety and I have been for about 3-4 years now. I have to get another blood test to check the T3 and T4 levels. My doctor avoided the question twice when I asked if Zoloft could cause this and said he had seen it with patients taking lithium but not personally seen it with Zoloft. He said if the T3 and T4 are normal with the second test, then we'll have to look into another cause like the medication. I know 50 mg is a small dose but I can't help but wonder. Prior to being on the medication, my hair was really thick and healthy. I was happy and sleeping normally. Now my hair is very dry and thinner (I've had a lot done to it but even new growth isn't as thick as it once was) and am sleeping all day and depressed. I'm scared to get the second test done cause if either my T3 or T4 levels come back outside the normal range, I'm gonna have to be on thyroid medication. And I HATE taking any medication, I'm working to get off the Zoloft as it is. What's your opinion? Could the Zoloft be causing it? I know 50 mg is a low dose but I'm only 118-120 pounds. Thanks in advance!

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
A good person to ask is your pharmacist to get an official professional answer.

I don't think its the zoloft.

hypothyroidism can cause all sorts of mental health issues, its possible the that could be what is causing the depression and the anxiety.

THyroid issues tend to run in family lines. Do some digging into your families health history and see if it shows up there.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had thyroid cancer at the age of 18, back in 1996. Had a total thyroidectomy, and have to rely on my thyroid medication to regulate my body ever sin...More

Helpful Tips

Taking Synthroid -
I usually don't take with food and I take mine first thing in the morning with my coffee & then wait at least 30 mins for bkfst. ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 20 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.