Skip to content
Low T4, Low T3, & Low Reverse T3, Serum
SKC_SF posted:
Hello, I am new to this site and have a question. Has anyone else had blood tests reveal the following: Low T4, Low T3 AND Low Reverse T3 Serum? I am not sure what to make of it because everything I have seen on-line in my searches shows when T3 is low then Reverse T3 is elevated but both my results showed low.

Symptoms - weight gain from 132 to 165 in 1 year (probably would have gained more but started eating ~1000 calories a day has stemmed gain but have not lost an ounce in 3 months), lethargic, depressed (probably due to weight gain , excessive sweating, dry skin/hair.

Doc also did a test that showed my SHBG level is 170, which is way high at 43 years old. Looked that up and said could be attributable to anorexia, which I assure all I am NOT!! Love food would love to be able to eat more of it without gaining weight.

And last piece of puzzle - I do have a tumor in my pituitary glad but it is being treated with meds and prolactin levels only slightly elevated 56.

Can anyone help?

GreenTMach responded:
I can tell you that I have been having some symptoms like the ones that you describe and I am in 20s. Most doctors that I have talked to(including endos) have refused to look at a free t3/t4 level or even reverse t3 at all. They only look at tsh. Was it hard for you to find a doctor that was looking at reverse t3 or t3 and t4 levels? I need to find one and fast...

tdull responded:
check your blood not bones calcium levells.

srayko responded:
Wondering if you ever figured this out. I have the same problem. Thanks!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my thyroid removed in November 2010. I believe, strongly, it is my responsbility to understand what this while do to my body and my future. No o...More

Helpful Tips

Hashimoto's Patients Beware: Mood Disorders!
Hello all! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's four years ago and have been struggling with mood problems ever since. I was diagnosed with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.