Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    tnbc stage IV, grade 3
    tnbcstage4 posted:
    Hi. My mom has tnbc. I have no medical background, so i may make mistakes in my choice of words. I'm also very long-winded so please bear with me:

    A year ago, my mom (age 56 then) was diagnosed with tnbc, 9mm lump in left breast duct, stage 1, grade 3. Also, left breast lymph nodes checked at that time, came back negative for cancerous cells. The doctors did a 15mm (1.5cm) lumpectomy October 5, 2011. They did a biopsy on the outer edges of that too and did not find any cancerous cells. No idea if they did any more mammograms/chest x-ray/ultrasound/sonogram. We know for sure that no MRI/PET scan/CT was ever done.

    They started her chemo a month later, on November 7, 2011. Six rounds of Taxotere + Cytoxan which lasted till February 20, 2012. In the meantime, shortness of breath was a problem since end of December, became acute by March. Doctors basically said they could not do anything to fix the "acute dyspnea". This became less severe over time, but remained for a few more months.

    Radiation, scheduled to start after the chemo was done, was delayed due to this dyspnea. On April 20, 2012, started 30 rounds/doses of radiation targeted to the area around where the lump was.

    Around middle of May, before the radiation was nearly completed, she had severe chest pains, went to ER, pleural fluid found, tapped 450ml fluid from around left lung, sent it for tests, did not find any cancer. At same time, ultrasound of leg showed blood clot, then heparin injections for 3 months. Liver enzymes were also found to be abnormal at that time but by 3rd week of June, enzyme levels came back to normal, liver function test came back normal, and soon, mom started looking and behaving and eating and living normally. We were all fully convinced that she was cancer free forever (LOL, on hindsight).

    So, from mid-May after the radiation was done, for the next 5 months, mom had no further treatment or medicines of any kind besides the heparin. Mom had gone back to work (a part-time clerk in a hospital), looked and felt totally normal besides the occasional pain in the abdomen. Then, mom had a fall two days before a routine mammogram scheduled for Oct 13, 2012, and we requested an MRI rather than a mammogram. After pressuring the primary care doctor, an MRI was done, and lo and behold, "invasive ductal carcinoma of left breast with liver metastasis", confirmed as Stage IV, grade 3, two days later by what my mom calls a "PET scan CT".

    More than 80% of the liver was now cancerous (so the oncologist said it was too late for a liver transplant or radiation), it had metastasized to most of her bones on the right side of her body including occipital bone in the back of the head (brain MRI showed no cancer in brain, only on bone), and a few spots in the lungs. Funny thing: a "bone scan" came back completely clear - i.e. no cancer in bones, but the PET scan said otherwise. Anywayz, we started chemo right away coz the oncologist said that her liver was very close to being jaundiced and she would not be alive for her daughter's (my sister's) wedding on Nov. 17, 2012 if we didn't start chemo.

    The 1st round of this second chemo regimen (Doxil + Paraplatin) was given on Oct 25. 2nd round on Nov. 20 (delayed by a week coz of my sister's wedding). 3rd round is scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 11, 2012, three weeks after which they might do a PET scan.

    She was hospitalized for 2 weeks from Nov. 17 because of non-stop vomiting coffee ground - endoscopy showed an ulcer at the start of her stomach that was "apparently" causing her vomiting. The 2nd week of her hospital stay she was just throwing up white mucus, no more coffee ground after they started her on a new regimen of gastro-intestinal drugs. Been a week since she's back from the hospital. She's back to eating solid foods, vomiting has stopped.

    This is all I know so far about my mom's condition. Suggestions? Advice?
    tnbcstage4 responded:
    She takes the following meds at various times throughout the day: Haloperidol (Haldol), Dexamethsone, Omeprazole, Vancomycin (for the C-Diff, stops on Dec 12), Calcium w/ Vit. D, Vit. B-complex, Lorazepam (Ativan, as needed), Hydromorphone (Dilaudid, for pain, as needed), Senna Lax Docusate (for constipation as needed, stopped now coz of C-Diff & coz her stool is regular/normal). She was on Zofran (anti-nausea, primary) and Compazine (break-through nausea) for the longest time but the doctors stopped both of them a week into her recent two week stay at the hospital).

    She's cheerful at times, while at other times, she's less than hopeful about her case and constantly reminisces about "what if they had done a PET scan much earlier, what if the doctors hadn't screwed up,..." etc. She's still physically weak, cannot stay standing for more than 5 minutes, is usually laying down most of the day, sits up occasionally, walks 5 to 10 minutes daily in the home coz she's scared the blood clot might come back.
    tnbcstage4 responded:
    Any advice?

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I was diagnosed with triple negative bc July 2009 with micromets in 1 lymph node. My path is different than most. I have gone thru naturopathic treatm...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.