Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to understand some of the abbreviations on here
sunshine10285 posted:
I'm new to the exchange (not to trying to conceive, just the exchange). I'm having trouble understanding some of the posts because of abbreviations if anyone could help me out. ?????

What do the following mean...
HPT
DH
IUI
HSG
Trigs
BCP
DP
O
BFP
AF
CD

If anyone can help thank you!

sunshine10285 responded:
That was "DPO" not DP and O

2yrsNcounting responded:
HPT= Home Pregnancy Test
DH=Dear Husband
IUI=intrauterine insemination, artificial insemination
HSG=hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that examines the inside of uterus and fallopian tubes and the surrounding area.
Trigs=Triggers usually emotional ones...
BCP=Birth Control Pills
DPO=Days Past Ovulation
BFP=Big Fat Positive
AF=Aunt Flow aka period
CD=Cycle Day

Hope that Helps!!

ninjarbaby responded:
you can also go to this link too. it used to be on the old webmd just starting out boards before we moved the exchange.

http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/

sunshine10285 responded:
Thank you very much ladies. You have no idea how even on here I was afraid of acceptance (even though I came here for that since we all share in our struggles) since I didn't know some of the "language" and the abbreviations. I was afraid to ask for about a week for fear that I would be told to go to the ttc jso board (that's why I stated my original question like I did). I thought people might look at me like I wasn't part of the true struggle since I didn't know the shorthands but this helps alot. And thank you for not dismissing me to the just starting out board as I am not- we are at 17 months of trying now.

Bellisima09 replied to sunshine10285's response:
Oh hon, these boards are so welcoming and we are all going through the same thing, so please don't fear not being accepted. I've been on these boards since I first starting TTC . Started in JSO, moved to TTC 6 mos, and now, here I am in the 12 mos board! Never thought it would come to that, but it is what it is, and I'm humbled by how hard this journey has been. I have found these boards a great place to share experiences with other women who know what you're going through. I'm so sorry your journey has been so long. And I was super confused by the abbreviations when I first came on, but I used to play a game with myself to guess all of them and see if I got them right. LOL.

Jess

2yrsNcounting replied to Bellisima09's response:
Jess I did the same thing when I first started out on the board too!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi ya'll! I'm Tanishia from South Louisiana. I have one daughter Lilya Jo born on Dec.2, 2006 from a previous relationship. My husband Bra...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.