Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question for others with PCOS
Jackienalen posted:
Do you experience pain if/when you ovulate?

I was told that I have PCOS about 6 months ago. I've been using OPKs for about 8 months... I've had 3 months with positive LH surges, and then a 3 months without, and then yesterday I had another positive... however, I've noticed I'm having a LOT of cramping and pain in my ovary area on both sides, and putting two and two together I now realize whenever I ovulate it hurts tremendously.

I'm wondering, are there others out there who are experiencing the same issue, (is it common with PCOS) and if so, has your doctor said anything about it being something in addition to the PCOS?

The pains feel like pulling a muscle or severe cramping. It's not constant, but it's enough to stop me in my tracks when I have them. Also, if I stretch or sneeze it get worse. Anyone else dealing with this?

I'm also wondering if this might be common with ovulation... I've heard others complain when they ovulate, but I'm wondering if this isn't as normal as I'm hoping it might be.
:) Jackie (30)TTC 1 since 06/08 - possible PCOS & other Medical Issues - DH (33) no testing for him yet

brookelovettc responded:
Hi Jackie. Well I don't have pcos but I just found out I have endometriomas and I do experience pain around ovulation. I also have pain/cramps from around ovulation off and on till I get my period. It seems like it would be normal and make since to have pain around ovulation esp if you have cysts. I would be really careful though if you feel a sudden sharp pain and feel the need to sit down, or feel like you're going to pass out. Are you being monitored, are you on any fertility meds?
Me(29) DH(28) TTC since 2008. No prev PG. Started seeing RE May 2010 and IF testing. DH=MFIF. Me=Retroverted uterus and low AMH. 3C w/Clomid=BFN. IVF/ICSI in Feb 2011. FX

Erin_Y replied to brookelovettc's response:
(Lurking from PAIF board). I hope you would excuse me ladies for posting here. Just wanted to say that my SIL has neither PCOS nor endo, and she definitely feels pain every single time she ovulates. It lasts for a couple of hours, so she always knows her timing (she hasn't been successful while TTC for 4 years though, but that's a whole different story). As for myself, I got a BFP about 3-4 months after my ovulation became painful (or at least uncomfortably noticeable), at that moment we've been TTC for two years. I agree with Brooke though that a sudden and sharp pain is a cause for concern, my pain was dull and not too strong.

Good luck ladies, sending a lot of baby dust your way.

Jackienalen responded:
Thanks Ladies!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has these issues. I've done some more research and it seems like the symptoms I've had are common in some women. And it did say that durning ovulation I'd most likely feel these pains for up to 24 hours. So, I think I'm OK for now.

I am under doctor's care, but I'm not on any fertility meds... the last time I saw my doctor she wanted to have me use the OPKs for a few months and judge my cycle... at the time I was seeing her, I was getting positive OPK results, and then the following 3 months, NADA! This is the first month since that I've had a positive for ovulation, and in my research I've found that the ovulation pains can worsen for women who don't ovulate regularly.

I WILL infact bring this up to my doctor on our next visit. Just to be sure it's not something more. The USs I've had showed the cysts on my ovaries, but from what they've said everything else looked OK.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our efforts this month are successful...but who knows... if it's meant to be, it'll happen!

Thanks ladies! I'm sending positive thoughts to you both! :)
:) Jackie (30)TTC 1 since 06/08 - possible PCOS

creekat replied to Jackienalen's response:
I also have PCOS and some months I do notice a pain on one side or the other. This is the first month I have used OPK and started the BBT record. My OB/GYN also put me on clomid because of all the blood work I have done he said he knows I am not ovulating every month (which is normal with PCOS). I agree with the others that you should ask your doctor about the pains and if it gets to be too unbarable to have it checked out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I haven't gotten my period on my own since April 09. 3 rounds of Clomid/prometrium. 2 rounds of Menopur. 2 IUIs- 1/15/11 and 3/9/11. Acupuncture o...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.