Skip to content
Testing tomorrow for HSG
tripp9 posted:
So, I am finally going in for my testing tomorrow and am very very very nervous about it. The nurse described it to me and it doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Has anyone out there had this testing and can give me any advise on it?
Also, I'm hoping it doesn't change the PH too much because my husband and I are finally going to get to see each other this weekend and it'll be during my ovulation time. He's been working out of town for 5 months now and everytime we've been able to get together it's not been at the right time. Please, any advise would be great!
Judie
DH (27), Me (31), TTC since July 09, Have done Acupuncture and going to start trying it again.

MMK82 responded:
Hi Judie!

I had my HSG done nearly two years ago, in April 09. Overall, it really wasn't that bad, but it certainly wasn't pleasant!

I felt a lot of pressure and, at times, severe cramps throughout the whole procedure. That part wasn't bad. What DID hurt--a lot--was when the doctor inserted the catheter and enlarged the balloon at the end of it. I seriously thought I was going to come unglued! But thankfully, that intense burst of pain was only for a few seconds.

A couple other things worth mentioning: be sure to take some sort of pain reliever (like ibuprofen/motrin/tylenol) about an hour before the procedure begins. Also, take a pad of your own. You may or may not experience some spotting afterward, and the pads they give out at doc's offices/hospitals are more similar to diapers! Lastly, don't be alarmed if you notice some weird discharge for the next few days. In all likelihood, it is just the dye making its way out of you and/or any 'cobwebs' the procedure was able to knock loose from your tubes.

I actually enjoyed being able to see the dye flow through my body on the monitor above my head. It was kind of neat, and definitely helped me to relax. I also tried to take a lot of deep breaths and focused on my breathing...I think that helped too.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it goes!
Megan (28), DH (25). TTC since 09/2008 with a yearlong break due to deployment. M/C @ 10wks, 06/2009.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Adrienne, I am 32 and have been TTC since November 2006. My DH 31 and his SA is good. In April of 2008 I was diagnosed with PCOS and...More

Helpful Tips

Hello All.
so it's more like a helpful tip for all including me.i just told my partner that i am quiting smoking,and he needs to stop ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.