Skip to content
ultrasound today
jen198 posted:
I'm on my third round of clomid, first round was 50mg and the last two months were at 100mg. I am having some cramps/pains so I called and asked the nurse to check with my Dr to see if that was a normal side effect. So needless to say my Dr wants to do a ultrasound to see if any cyst have formed from taking clomid. Anyone ever deal with this? what should I expect and will I still be able to take clomid or will I have to try a new fertility treatment? Thanks for all your help

kzim517 responded:
It's not uncommon... I haven't experienced this first-hand (yet) but have discussed this with my NP. Typically you would just take a month off from the Clomid and monitor the cysts to make sure they are getting smaller when not being stimulated by the medication. Then you can resume taking it. Your doctor may decide something different, but I think this is usually the way it is handled. Otherwise, there is another medication called Femara that I think is an alternative.
Hopefully this is not the case and you are feeling better soon!

smurfette84 responded:
Cysts are a fairly-ish common side effect. I currently have one myself (found beginning of Jan). It's rough to deal with as your doctor will likely pull you off of clomid until it's gone or is small enough to resume taking the medicine. Expectations: I have a dull ache on the side with the cyst. I don't know if this is common, my doctor didn't say. I feel pain if it's pushed.

Did AF come yet this cycle? My dr did say that sometimes these types of cysts form in early (early) pregnancy to give extra hormones to the growing fetus. If AF has come, then this isn't the case. :(

As to whether you can continue, that's really up to your doctor.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been here at WebMD since 2007, but I've been involved in social media and moderated communities online since 1994, so you know I just lov...More

Helpful Tips

Trying to conceive for 9 months
Hi, I'm new to this community. After reading some of the posts, I thought this may be a good place to get support as I struggle through ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.