Skip to content
1st IUI
canwedothis posted:
Hello all, I'm new to this so bear with me. I'm 24 and my husband is 32, we've been ttc with the help of a medical proffesional since Oct. of 2009. Prior to seeking a doctor, I had been off BC and had no cycles at all for over a year. I started with my local OB-GYN who diagnosed me with PCOS (no surprise as my older sister had just gone through the same thing). He started me on Metformin and after 5 cycles on Clomid and 2 on Femara he sent me on to the nearest RE, that was last June. He did some more testing and decided my PCOS was a result of insulin resistance so up went my dose of Metformin. I started having cycles again with no other drugs! But they were getting longer so we decided to add the Femara back to the mix to even things out. I've been on 7.5 mg of Femara every cycle since November. We tried IUI for the first time this last cycle and I was so hopeful but AF showed up today. I'm so heartbroken. Every time I start my period I feel like a piece of me dies. I assume that we'll do another round of IUI, but I'm almost not sure what I can handle at this point. My husband does the best he can to keep my spirits up but he'll never truly know what this feels like. I've had to watch two beautiful neices celebrate their first birthdays and both my sister and his are pregnant again. WHEN WILL IT BE OUR TIME?!! I'm so frustrated and beginning to get depressed.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

j_heller_0723 responded:
I definitely know how u feel, everyone around me is having a baby. Couple months ago I found out that my boss is having their 2nd baby, and a friend of my husband's that was just newly weds got pregnant too last december, and a friend of mine had a baby early this month. And everyone keeps telling me that it'll happen when the right time comes. It is so frustrating and I dont know what else to do, I began receiving accupuncture treatments last december and it actually helped me a lil bit. It relieved some of my stress I was beginning to stay in shape and noticed that my period was regular and had more mucus. Have you considered trying accupuncture, maybe it'll help you too.

canwedothis replied to j_heller_0723's response:
I have actually considered acupuncture in the past but wasn't really sure about it. Thanks for the advice! I've made an appointment to see an acupuncturist this Friday. Wish me luck!

MMK82 replied to canwedothis's response:
Hi there,

I just wanted to wish you luck with your acu appointment this week :) I have been going to acupuncture since December, and it has helped me a lot. I do not ovulate on my own, so I can't say that the acu has necessarily helped to regulate me (yet, anyway), but it definitely makes me feel better and helps me to keep a relaxed attitude about TTC.

Be sure to check back and let us know how it goes for you!
Megan (28), DH (25). TTC since 09/2008; m/c 06/2009. www.fertilityfriend.com/home/mmk82

canwedothis replied to MMK82's response:
The first acupuncture was great, I've actually been for a second visit already. I had my US to check follicle growth today and I'm going to O from the left (it's been from the right the last few cycles). Plus it looks like I'm going to O around CD 14-15 instead of 12-13 like I've been. DH and I have been instructed to BD tonight and Sunday then I'll give the trigger shot Monday and go for IUI on Tuesday. I really feel positive with all of the different/new things this cycle. I've got everything but my legs crossed :).

By the way MMK82, Congratulations! You seem like a wonderful person who really deserves a bundle of joy. I wish you a great pregnancy!

j_heller_0723 replied to canwedothis's response:
how did it go? Its going to take a lil bit of time for the accupuncture. Let me know what happens ok. Goodluck and keep me posted

jon3brn responded:
I understand how you feel when your AF comes and the heartache and disappointment you feel. But I am sure your husband understands. I felt the same way about my husband until we had a huge fight about him not caring that we werent getting pregnant. He told me, that he feels completely responsible for our lack of children. If he would have made different decisions and choices when he was younger, maybe this wouldnt be happening. And he went on to express how heartbroken he was to realize that this may not be easy for us. Especially with the constant reminders of how all of our friends are getting married and starting families. And we are still trying.

I would encourage you to talk with him and hear him tell you how he feels. Our talk brought us closer and put us in tune with one another. Now when we speak about our options for the future, I feel total support from him instead of resistance. Because at the end of the day, it is the two of you.

GOOD LUCK on your next IUI. Can you explain to me how that process was for you. That is going to be our next step towards the end of the year and the beginning of the new year.

canwedothis replied to jon3brn's response:
I'm feeling pretty good about the IUI this round. My DH provided a wonderfully above average sample count wise. It didn't occur to me at the time, but we actually had the procedure on the 5th anniversary of our first date:). I took the whole day off work and went for acupuncture that afternoon. I'm really feeling like the acupuncture is doing me some good too.

To jon3brn, the procedure itself is fairly similar to a pap. DH was instructed to be there an hour before me to provide his sample. Once they are ready for me they go over his numbers with me and have me sign off that it is indeed the right specimen. They use a speculum to open the cervix then a very thin catheter to inject the sample. After my first round, I had a fair amount of cramping and discomfort. I think that had to do with how far they inserted the catheter because the second time wasn't as bad. I wish you the best of luck! Hopefully you won't even have to worry about going for IUI if you're looking that end of the year.

jon3brn replied to canwedothis's response:
thanks, that gives me an idea of what I am going into. Have you had an HSG? would you compare that pain to the discomfort that you felt after the procedure? As far as the acupunture, Do you get that after the transfer or the day before?

hopefulk77 replied to jon3brn's response:
Hi, I found my HSG to be awful - the pain was so intense, but they used the wrong type of catheter :( My first IUI last month, I felt a little pinch with the catheter and then it was fine. It was like a regular PAP, no real pain just a little uncomfortable.
K (33), DH (34), TTC 1 Since Oct 08, M/C Jun09 (10wks), Unexplained Infertility IUI 1: Feb, 100mg clomid, 4 follies (R), BFN IUI 2: Mar, 100mg clomid http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/KL

jon3brn replied to hopefulk77's response:
I am sorry it was so painful. I would equate my HSG pain to reegular pain that I feel each month. I have really debilitating cramps the first day or so of my cycle. When my doctor how bad the pain was I replied "felt like I was on my period". she was shocked at the intensity of my pain during my cycle.

But if its like a regular pap, uncomfortable and awkward as it may be is not that bad. but I guess as long as the end results in conception. Bring on the pain...

canwedothis replied to jon3brn's response:
I've had an HSG also, and the IUI was not even close to the pain/discomfort I had then. I went for acupuncture in the afternoon after my IUI. I'm still feeling pretty good about this cycle, but I have a few more days before I can test.

jon3brn replied to canwedothis's response:
Canwedothis-after the IUI procedure is it safe to go immediately after to acupunture? I am just thinking if you experience some belly pain/discomfort wouldnt the pressure of acupunture make it worse, or does it help alleviate it? How long have you been going?

I am new to the acupunture. I am just nervous about the needles. But I also saw there was an option for stone acupuncture. Let us know how the testing goes when you are able. I hope its your month.

BABY DUST

scpmac replied to jon3brn's response:
Does anyone here know whether or not insurances cover accupuncture?

kzim517 replied to scpmac's response:
Every insurance is different. You'll have to check your policy or give them a call.
Kari (30), DH (32), DS born 12/09. It seems we are learning daily just what a little miracle he was. Failed 4 cycles of clomid with Ovidrel, cysts detected in Feb. FSH and P4 low.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Donnielle = Me (26), DH (27) TTC since October 2003. Chemical Pregnancy in 2004. Hormonal Imbalance due to being overweight. 3 unsucessful Clomid cy...More

Helpful Tips

Hello All.
so it's more like a helpful tip for all including me.i just told my partner that i am quiting smoking,and he needs to stop ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.