Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Endometriosis Awareness Month
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Ladies,

Is Endometriosis causing you pain and infertility, yet few people seem to understand the impact it has on your life? The Endometriosis Research Center would like to educate, support and empower women through Endometriosis Awareness Month in March.

"Endometriosis is a painful reproductive and immunological disease in which tissue similar to the uterine lining (endometrium) migrates outside the womb and implants in other areas of the body...Often stigmatized as simply "killer cramps," symptoms include painful periods, pelvic pain at any point in a woman or girl's cycle, infertility, pain with sexual activity, gastrointestinal and urinary tract difficulties and much more."

Did you know it takes nine years on average to diagnose? I didn't until I read the information! Also, make sure to take a look at our brand new Endometriosis Slideshow.

Tell us your endometriosis story--how long did it take to diagnose? Are you still waiting to be diagnosed? Has your doctor indicated it is responsible/partially responsible for your infertility?

Byroney

brookelovettc responded:
I didn't know it was endo awareness month! Neat.

Well I haven't been officially diagnosed but they are 99% sure I have endo because of the rather large endometriomas on both of my ovaries. I've been having "weird" symptoms for about 8 years now and they only just did my first ultrasound in August and found the endomertiomas. And they only did the ultrasound because we had been TTC for 2 years. The drs always told me my symptoms were normal, and weren't worried because I didn't have severe pain.

They do believe endo can make it difficult to get pg because of the toxins it creates around the ovaries and eggs. And some say people with endo have a higher m/c rate.

We just had our first IVF cycle at the beginning of Feb which we did get a bfp but it ended in a chemical pregnancy. We hope to try again, but it depends on the timing and if the cysts are getting bigger.

If anyone is looking for more info on IVF and endo I would suggest going to this website, it has amazing information: www dot ivfauthority dot com
Me(29) DH(28) TTC since 2008. No prev PG. Started seeing RE May 2010 and IF testing. DH=MFIF. Me=Retroverted uterus and low AMH. 3C w/Clomid=BFN. IVF/ICSI in Feb 2011. FX

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to brookelovettc's response:
Dear Brooke,

Thanks so much for sharing, and I'm really sorry about the chemical pregnancy. I think the endometriosis slideshow I linked to in the article mentions 1/3 of the women with endometriosis have fertility issues.

I'm holding good thoughts for a perfect cycle and IVF on your next try,

Byroney

Peterson_C_1989 responded:
I learned I had endmetriosis 4-12-2010 after about 6 months of excruciating pain. At the tiem I was on birth control my husband and I weren't trying to have children yet because we thought I was healthy and all was well and good. In about November of 09 I got horrible cramps and pain and couldn't even have sex anymore without crying. I would be laid up for days with a heating pad. My mom wondered if it was endometriosis since she had it. I thought it was just scar tissue from a surgery 3 years earlier.

When I was finally able to get into the drs. I told them what I thought and what my mom thought and asked for a laporoscopy (thanks to my mom's advice) and they just put me in the run around with blood work, pregnancy tests and an ultra sound.

My ultrasound was one I will never forget.. When they did my ultrasound I learned my left ovary and left faloppian tube were gone. They were removed when I was 17 with out my or my parents knowledge. Other than that they found nothing.

They finally did the laparoscopy and determined I have endometriosis on my left side behind my uterus and near my intestinal wall. They didn't find any on the right side thank goodness, and they say my right side and uterus are pretty healthy. After my surgery and begin told it could come back my husband and I started TTC with no luck. We just learned I might have PCOS and haven't been ovulating on top of that I think the endometriosis is back. I can feel it again..

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been trying since July 2007. We got married that year in April. We were 29 at the time and both wanted to start a family. My hus...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.