Skip to content
Hello again! and ???'s
CGrubbzTTC posted:
Hello Ladies!
My name is Catie and i used to post here all the time and i would like to reintroduce myself because I havent been on in quite sometime! We have been TTC since 3/08 and have had no luck!...
This February 2011 we started back with the RE and am pleased to say that so far I love him. We began testing on the 3/11 cycle. I had all blood work come back completely normal for me, my US was normal, I have and above average ovarian reserve and no PCOS or ENDO, my HSG showed patent tubes. Now the bad news, My husband's sperm count is just on the baseline of being normal, just, and his morphology is only 5% normal, the good news in this is that the swimmers that are shaped correctly move fast!---
We are going to do our first IUI in May!---The RE wants to do what he calls an "Aggressive Clomid Cycle" which consists of CD3 BW and TVUS, followed by CD5-9 Clomid, followed by mor BW ans anothe US once I have the LH surge then followed by an HCG trigger shot, then the IUI which will be followed by progesterone vaginal suppositories(sp?)...My RE seems to think that I should be quite responsive to this therapy and has high hopes of it being a one time shot, but obviously wont give me more than hope (whose heard that before right?!?)...so I AM hopeful but I dont want to be too hopefull!...

Now as far as the questions go, I was hopng to find a general cost of the meds...The reason we arent having the IUI done this cycle is that we have to get the money together and although I have an appointment next week with the RE's financial consultant I would like to get a general concensus on here...as well as any expieriences with any of the drugs I'll be on please!
Thanks for reading all this! Sorry it was so long!...lol
Catie(24), Dan(26), TTC since 3/2008~~~First IUI in May!

Bamahome responded:
Hi Catie! We have been TTC since 12/09 & what a journey it has been. I have had two IUI's with my OBGYN. The 1st one ended up in a chemical pregnancy & the 2nd simply didn't take. As for cost though, going through my OBGYN, it cost about $250 for my husband's sperm workup & about $250 for the IUI itself. We are starting with a RE next month & I have been told that it should cost about $3,000. I think the drugs depend on your insurance. Clomid cost me $5 and the progesterone suppositories costs $25. These were simply co-pays. I wish you the best of luck!

kzim517 responded:
We just did that this cycle. The meds are not going to be the major expense - clomid is cheap (you can get the generic for around $10), I just have to check how much the single HCG shot costs but we got that through the NP we go to, not the pharmacy. Meds for IUI don't account for much of the cost until you start getting more aggressive with stims (FSH shots like Follistim). The ultrasounds are the most expensive part, I believe. Mine cost around $600 a piece, before insurance. Also labs can be costly if insurance doesn't cover them. But if you've had all of the infertility labs done, you shouldn't really need many.
Progesterone will vary. The NP I go to wanted me to use a progesterone gel, not the pills that people use. It is becoming more accepted, even over shots for IVF, because it seems to be more precise and certainly doesn't hurt like an injection would. If your insurance does not cover the gel, though, it costs about $185 a month (which is really a 2 week supply). So it depends on what your doctor recommends/prefers.
Kari (30), DH (32), our little miracle DS born 12/09. Failed 4 cycles of clomid/HCG, cysts in Feb. FSH and P4 low, DH has low morphology. On to clomid/IUI in March.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 40 and my DH is 43 and we have been ttc for 2 years!! I had a tubal reveral in 2008 and ttc the old fashion way for almost 2 years but was unsucc...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.