Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Started First IUI Cycle
KLC1018 posted:
Hi,
It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted and I'm now in the midst of my first IUI cycle. Of course, AF showed up 3 days late last week so I thought maybe the "old fashioned way" had worked for us. No luck. :( So, went in for my Day 3 FSH test and an ultrasound and started on the injectible FSH this past Saturday. Was extremely nervous about giving myself a shot - have been known to still cry when I have to get a needle - but I didn't even feel the first shot I did. I think the adrenaline was pumping b/c I felt a tiny little pinch the next night. But nothing bad at all. I go back tomorrow for more bloodwork and, yet another, ultrasound to see what kind of follicles I have. On Saturday, I had 6 on each side...not bad. If all goes according to plan, the plan is to do the IUI early next week!
After so much disappointment the last year and a half, I'm having a hard time being positive. I'm really trying, but don't want to end up disappointed again. I just really, really hope it works on the first try. That would be awesome! Thanks for listening/reading. :)
Kerri

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Clomid and Ovidrel?

I'm doing Femara and Ovidrel. I had 4 folicles this month. The needle doesn't hurt at all if you ice your injection site for 5 minutes before you give yourself the shot.

I have 2 days left on my 2ww but I don't think my first IUI worked. My RE wants me to increase my Femara to 2 a day on days 3-7 this next cycle if my HPT is negative on Thursday.

Good luck and keep us posted!

KLC1018 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
I'm doing Follistim and Ovidrel. Met with my new nurse this morning after my testing (old nurse was not good so I got a new one) and she said that she is pretty sure we'll be doing the first IUI this weekend! Exciting and kind of scary at the same time.
Well, maybe it did work b/c I thought that you would have gotten your period earlier than 2 days before the 2ww is over. The waiting is the worst.
Good luck to you as well!

FrenchBulldogMom replied to KLC1018's response:
Tomorrow is day 28 of my cycle, I believe. My period is always after day 30-35, if it even comes on time at all. I'm just getting frustrated with the entire process. I priced Follistim at work the other day ( I work at a pharmacy), and it will cost me $110 or so if we end up using it.

bbloomston responded:
I am cheering for you- stay positive! Try spending 5 minutes at night writing down something great about your life now. It may be hard with all the crazy thoughts & doubts about the future, but thinking about what you are gratefl for now is a great way to fight back!!

hopefulk77 responded:
Hi Kerri,

Good luck with the IUI - I'm really surprised that they will go ahead with an IUI with 12 follicles though! My RE cancelled my cycles where I had 5 because I over responded and although they make you sign forms for selective reduction thats not an area they want to delve into.

I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended - which is concern, but I would be asking my RE about the risks of IUI with that many follicles
K (33) TTC1 since Oct08, M/C Jun09 (10wks), IUI 1: Feb11, 100mg clomid, 4 follies (R), BFN IUI 2: Mar11, 100mg clomid, 5 follies - cancelled Apr11 - Cyst :( http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/KL

Koolie1978 replied to hopefulk77's response:
Hi Hopefulk77, I was surprised about that 12 follicle thing too but after some more reading I think that was just the initial test to see what you're working with. I know mine was easily 25 on each side. You'll see that later in her post she's supposed to go back "tomorrow" for another ultrasound and I think thats the one that will show how many mature eggs there are.

KLC1018 replied to Koolie1978's response:
Yup...you guys got it right. The 12 follicles was definitely the initial test. I went this morning and the actual doctor who did our initial consult did the ultrasound b/c she will be doing the IUI and she saw 1 follicle that is ready to go. Soooo...now I understand it more. There are still other follicles in my ovaries, but not big enough or "ready". I'm a little disappointed that there is only 1, but then again, it only takes 1 to make a baby. :) Plan is to do the IUIs this weekend. The place we are going to does it twice to give it better odds, so we would go tomorrow and Sunday. If she feels it's not quite ready enough, then it would be one more night of FSH injection, another ultrasound/bloodwork tomorrow, and IUI Sunday/Monday. I'm just waiting on the results of my bloodwork this afternoon. It's all waiting...waiting...waiting. :) And trying to stay positive.

hopefulk77 replied to KLC1018's response:
oh thats excellent - thanks for clarifying for me - my RE doesn't do the initial u/s just the monitoring one on CD14.

It only takes one - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
K (33) TTC1 since Oct08, M/C Jun09 (10wks), IUI 1: Feb11, 100mg clomid, 4 follies (R), BFN IUI 2: Mar11, 100mg clomid, 5 follies - cancelled Apr11 - Cyst :( http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/KL

FrenchBulldogMom replied to hopefulk77's response:
My RE only does the monitoring u/s also. I'm starting Femara again on Sunday and then we'll do the u/s on the 31st. I had 4 follicles last month.
Age: 35, DH age:35 TTC 1 1/2 years, HSG/Ultrasound Nov '10 showed uterine polyps, surgery Feb '11 polyp removal/D

KLC1018 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
Wow...4 follicles is good! Heard back from my doctor and nurse and we are a go for tomorrow and Sunday. My doctor said my bloodwork results were "beautiful." :) I'll take it. There is still only the 1 follicle, but we'll hope for the best. When my husband got the results of his SA, the doctor told him that he could "single-handedly repopulate the earth" so I'm hoping they will do this job this weekend! Thanks for the positive thoughts...much appreciated!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Good luck, Kerri! I hope your follie is a sticky one.

Keep us updated--we need a ridiculously large number of BFPs this spring and summer!

Byroney
I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.~ Roseanne Barr

Koolie1978 replied to KLC1018's response:
Wow KLC 1018, you and I need to be buddies right now! My hubby and I just did our first IUI today after using both clomid and the trigger shot. We also had only one mature follicle this month which we were surprised and disappointed with because our initial ultrasound showed something like 25 follicles on each side.We used only a low dosage of clomid but still we expected more. My hubby did go thru the semen wash thingy and we got about 8 million of his top notch swimmers heading to work. Our 2ww begins today.

KLC1018 replied to Koolie1978's response:
Koolie1978, we are pretty much right on the same track! We did the two IUIs yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday). Besides the getting up at the crack of dawn to drive 40 minutes with our "sample" stuffed in my shirt to keep it warm, :) everything went as well as could be expected. The doctor said during this morning's IUI that I'm either getting read to ovulate or just did so we're just hoping that the swimmers find their way to my follicle. His count was 42 million yesteday and 40 million today...as I told the doctor, he's got "super sperm." Feeling a little crampy today, which I've ready is normal. I know they say you can go about your day as normal, but I'm still taking it easy today. Plus I'm exhausted...this morning's appointment was at 6:30. :( Hopefully it all works out for the best...for everyone here!
Kerri

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 y.o. I have been married 2 years. I was dx with PCOS at 19, so I always sorta knew that having a baby would be hard! I am currently on Metform...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.