Skip to content
New to this board
babyhopes28 posted:
Hi Everyone, I'm not quite at the 12 month mark yet but after doing an SA and HSG, I found out this week that my husband had a very poor SA. We are seeing an RE who is recommending we skip IUI and go right into IVF. My husband is going to see a urologist next month and we are hoping to begin a treatment cycle in July. Of course we are both devastated. I never thought that we would have an infertility problem but I am trying to focus on the fact that our RE said she thinks with treatment we will be pregnant by the end of the year.

I feel so angry at all the people who told me I should just have a glass of wine and relax or go on vacation. "It will happen, you're young." I wish it were that simple. In a way it is nice to know the problem because I know that I am not crazy and that I was justified in my fear and also it can be fixed. Thanks for letting me vent, we aren't telling our friends and family our diagnosis so I hope to use this forum as a place to vent and discuss.

erinmj31 responded:
Hi babyhopes28,
Welcome! I know that this isn't the place that anyone expects to be when TTC, but there are some very supportive individuals who can help you through. My DH and I are also dealing with MFIF so I know exactly what you're going through. The problem with dealing with IF is that it's such a hush-hush disease that nobody wants to talk about. We've all heard the full run of dumb things that well-meaning people say. You can feel safe venting here. We all do at some point! If you need anything, let us know....

Erin

FrenchBulldogMom replied to erinmj31's response:
I hate it when people say: "Have you thought about adoption"?
They say it like they're the first ones to think of this. Adoption is NOT the ony choice for couples dealing with infertility.
Age: 35, DH age:35 TTC 1 1/2 years, HSG/Ultrasound Nov '10 showed uterine polyps, surgery Feb '11 polyp removal/D

babyhopes28 responded:
thanks for all the support. my husband had some blood work done and we will do a repeat sa in a few weeks. after that we meet with the urologist which he is not looking forward to! hopefully everything will check out fine there and we can start the ivf process soon after.

mkay16 responded:
Hi Babyhopes-I just joined too. We have been TTC for exactly 12 months now.
I feel your pain when people say just relax, or it will happen give it some time....makes me very angry because I've been hearing that for a year now!
It does give me some comfort that others are in the same boat as me.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I hate it when people say "Stop trying and you'll get pregnant". If I had high blood pressure, I wouldn't stop taking my medicine and just hope that it would go away.

When we got my HSG back last year, it showed that I had 4 uterine polyps. I had to have surgery, but now my body doesn't want to ovulate on its own. My husband had SA and his numbers came back pretty low. I wanted to jump right into IVF and not bother with IUI, but my doctor says we have a "reasonable" chance with IUI. My husband agreed to try IUIs first , just in case they work and we wouldn't have to spend the money for IVF. After 1 failed IUI, and another staring me in the face, I'm getting pretty discouraged.

I like where you say that you're focusing on what your RE said about treatment helping you to be pregnant by the end of the year. My RE told us that he could definitely help us and that we're good candidates for treatment. My husband started taking vitamins to boost his fertility and they have helped, so good luck with the urologist.
Age: 35, DH age:35 TTC 1 1/2 years, HSG/Ultrasound Nov '10 showed uterine polyps, surgery Feb '11 polyp removal/D

babyhopes28 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
Frenchbulldogmom: sorry to hear about your failed IUI. Hopefully the next one will be successful. I can understand why you are discouraged. The whole process is an emotional rollar coaster! I'm fortunate enough to live in a state where fertility treatments are fully covered by insurance. It's hard to believe that insurance companies in other states won't pay for a diagnosed medical condition. Because my husband's sa was so low we qualify to go right into IVF. We have to repeat the SA next week because insurance requires 2 low SA's to prove the infertility diagnosis. Hopefully the urologist will go well and we can start our treatments. The waiting and unknown is so difficult!

FrenchBulldogMom replied to babyhopes28's response:
I posted in the infertility treatment board: Too fat for IVF. I don't even qualify to have IVF right now because my BMI is too high. I'm going to meet with an anesthesiologist and talk about my options, but if he/she won't do it, I'm going to have to find one that will. I'm already 35 and I need to get started now. I'm willing to change my lifestyle and lose some weight, but I don't have time to lose 100 lbs and still be in my childbearing years. I feel like I'm going to be old enough to be a grandmother before I'm a mom.

babyhopes28 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
I'm sorry to hear that. I've always been someone who is constantly working at my weight so I understand your frustrations. Just do the best you can and see what the anesthesiologist says.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Jessica (34) DH (37) TTC since 11/08; Maybe IVF #3 Aug/Sep?? IVF #1 #2 BFN; Previous cycles all BFN: 3 IUI/follistim, 2 femara. DH SA great.

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.