Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    17 months and one miscarriage later...
    An_226816 posted:
    My husband and I are in our 17th month of trying to conceive. I am 28 and he is 29. We are both in good health. I became pregnant in December 2010 after 11 months of trying. My OB-GYN did blood work as soon as I knew I was pregnant and everything looked good. However, I miscarried at 5 weeks. There was no explantion for the miscarriage and my doctor was not overly concerned. She seemed to think that I would conceive again and that everything would likely progress normally.

    We have now been trying for 6 months post-miscarriage. Everything I have read suggests going in for a fertility evaluation after 1 year of trying. How does that work with having had a miscarriage, though? Does the year of trying start over, meaning we need to keep trying for another 6 months before considering that something may be wrong? I am frustrated and tired of waiting, but also concerned that something may be contributing to our difficutly in conceiving.

    I have tracked my ovulation most months. I ovulate regularly and we try to ensure that we have sex around the time of ovulation. Nevertheless, it is taking so much more time than I imagined. Is it time to check into things, or I should just sit back and try to be more patient?
    mrsnkunz responded:
    I wish I had an answer to that quesetion, but I'm hoping someone who does answers you. I've been wondering the same thing. Technically, I started ttc a year ago, had a miscarriage in December and have been trying for a few months again. But I think you should try to check into things since it was nearly a year to begin with.
    hopefulk77 responded:
    Hi, first off i am sorry for your loss, i wish no-one had to go through that kind of heartache . It takes different amounts of time after a m/c to re-regulate cycles and to be able to get pregnant again.

    I spoke with my doctor about 10 months after my m/c, and they put in a referral for me - at that point combined we had been trying for 18mnths. It took almost a year to get the referral for us, but we only have one RE on our island...

    I would ask your doctor for a referral. If your doctor will run the blood panels and request a SA for your DH that would help too. At least that way you have things flagged before getting a RE appointment.

    it can take 6-12months for an avg couple to conceive, so your first was within the timeframe, and because you are still under 35 you are not considered high fertility risk group so they do recommend waiting one year.
    K (33) TTC1 since Oct08, M/C Jun09 (10wks), IUI 1: Feb11, 100mg clomid, 4 follies (R), BFN IUI 2: Mar11, 100mg clomid, 5 follies - cancelled Apr11 - Cyst :(

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Me (26) DH (34) - TTC #1 since 8/2005. Started Metformin 3x a day 2/2010. DH has good count but not the right amount of "normal" guys. Prayi...More

    Helpful Tips

    What treatment women who have hydrosalpinx want to get pregnant should accept?
    "My wife is having hydrosalpinx that has been difficult for her to get pregnant" is a question that left as an offline message. Before ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.