Skip to content
17 months and one miscarriage later...
An_226816 posted:
My husband and I are in our 17th month of trying to conceive. I am 28 and he is 29. We are both in good health. I became pregnant in December 2010 after 11 months of trying. My OB-GYN did blood work as soon as I knew I was pregnant and everything looked good. However, I miscarried at 5 weeks. There was no explantion for the miscarriage and my doctor was not overly concerned. She seemed to think that I would conceive again and that everything would likely progress normally.

We have now been trying for 6 months post-miscarriage. Everything I have read suggests going in for a fertility evaluation after 1 year of trying. How does that work with having had a miscarriage, though? Does the year of trying start over, meaning we need to keep trying for another 6 months before considering that something may be wrong? I am frustrated and tired of waiting, but also concerned that something may be contributing to our difficutly in conceiving.

I have tracked my ovulation most months. I ovulate regularly and we try to ensure that we have sex around the time of ovulation. Nevertheless, it is taking so much more time than I imagined. Is it time to check into things, or I should just sit back and try to be more patient?

mrsnkunz responded:
I wish I had an answer to that quesetion, but I'm hoping someone who does answers you. I've been wondering the same thing. Technically, I started ttc a year ago, had a miscarriage in December and have been trying for a few months again. But I think you should try to check into things since it was nearly a year to begin with.

hopefulk77 responded:
Hi, first off i am sorry for your loss, i wish no-one had to go through that kind of heartache . It takes different amounts of time after a m/c to re-regulate cycles and to be able to get pregnant again.

I spoke with my doctor about 10 months after my m/c, and they put in a referral for me - at that point combined we had been trying for 18mnths. It took almost a year to get the referral for us, but we only have one RE on our island...

I would ask your doctor for a referral. If your doctor will run the blood panels and request a SA for your DH that would help too. At least that way you have things flagged before getting a RE appointment.

it can take 6-12months for an avg couple to conceive, so your first was within the timeframe, and because you are still under 35 you are not considered high fertility risk group so they do recommend waiting one year.
K (33) TTC1 since Oct08, M/C Jun09 (10wks), IUI 1: Feb11, 100mg clomid, 4 follies (R), BFN IUI 2: Mar11, 100mg clomid, 5 follies - cancelled Apr11 - Cyst :( http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/KL

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am wife to a wonderful hubby. We have TTC for almost 3 years now, in that process we adopted our daughter, I had surgery for my endo, went back on t...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.