Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mittelschmerz and Clomid
Jackienalen posted:
I'm just wondering if anyone else has severe symptoms of mittelschmerz while using Clomid? If so, how long does it last? Hours or days? I read that it should only last about 24hrs, but I seem to have pain much longer. I do have PCOS, so I guess that could be another contributing factor.

I guess I should be taking it as a good sign that I'm actually ovulating... but I'm SO uncomfortable. I asked my doctor and she kind of blew it off, but I'm wondering if I should seek another opinion? I get mittelschmerz pain starting 3 days before I get a positive OPK and it usually lasts for another 1-2 days. (5 days total of discomfort and pain) It is equal to the pain I get with cramping I'd have during a heavier than normal period.

This is the 4th month for me on Clomid (150mg) and I'm now taking Metformin as well. I had the same symptoms during the off months that I actually ovulated before taking the meds so I can't say that it's because of the drugs, but I'm just wondering if this is "normal" or not.

I have two more months with this doctor and then if we're still not successful she's going to send me to a RE. (DH's SA is Normal... so this one's all on me.)
:) Jackie (30)TTC 1 since 06/08 - possible PCOS, 1st round Clomid 100mg (04/11) - DH (34)SA Normal - 3 Fur babies: Adonnis & Serendipity - 8yrs, Trinity - 2yrs

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Jacki and thanks for posting.

I have terrible Mittelschmerz myself, but I am not on Clomid. Like yours, it can last more than a day. I was told mine was due to endometriosis. Have you asked your doctor if you could take an OTC pain reliever? That works for me.

It's up to you if you want to get a second opinion. I know you mentioned you'll be seeing an RE in another couple of months, too. Perhaps you could try speaking to your current doctor again and really emphasize the amount of discomfort you're having and ask her for some solutions?

Hope you get some relief soon!

Let us know how you're doing,

Byroney
I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.~ Roseanne Barr

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jane and my husband and I have been TTCing since March 2008. We are currently in the process of doing testing and hoping that we can concei...More

Helpful Tips

Trying to conceive for 9 months
Hi, I'm new to this community. After reading some of the posts, I thought this may be a good place to get support as I struggle through ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.