Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
12 months, no baby
JMChappell posted:
This month is officially a year from when my husband and I first started TTC. I have really irregular periods; we recently went to a fertility clinic; they ruled out PCOS. I was prescribed Clomid, and finished the first round on the 24th. I am just waiting to ovulate now, and see if this medicine works. I really hope it does....it is so depressing to just keep trying and trying with no success!
How much success have you had? What other treatments does anyone know of that they had or know someone who had the most success with?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome JMChappell and thanks for posting!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Going to a fertility clinic was a smart move. I sure hope that your first round of Clomid leads to a positive ovulation. This Ovulation and TTC Tips slideshow may be helpful.

You may also want to try posting on the Infertility Treatment community. They're a very supportive community and busier than this one tends to be.

Keep us update,

Byroney
I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.~
Roseanne Barr

JMChappell replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yeah, we are trying to=> My test date is tomorrow, I am hoping the clomid worked and brings a positive result. Thanks, I will try posting there=>

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to JMChappell's response:
How did the testing go? Sure hope you got that positive, JMChappell!

Byroney
I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.~
Roseanne Barr

JMChappell replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I got a negative and then my period the next day=[ Started round two of clomid today, hope it works this time.

cfolkman23 replied to JMChappell's response:
Hi, I just stumbled across your posts and I was wondering about your comment that you have "irregular periods." Does the Clomid regulate your cycles? I'm wondering because I haven't had a period in over a year and my doctor keeps telling me that doesn't mean I'm not ovulating so we keep TTC but after over a year of trying and still not to even have a period, I'm wondering if clomid might be an option for me, or if I'd have to actually have a period before I could try it. Anyways, good luck! And let us know how round 2 goes for you!

JMChappell replied to cfolkman23's response:
You know it is funny you say this because I was just thinking about it. I had such irregular periods, and ever since I started the clomid, my period had been within a day of when it is suppose to come. I really do think it does regulate them. Has your doctor told you why you havn't had a period? I think you have to have a period to use clomid, but I would ask your doctor about it, I'm not sure; I hope it could help you though!!
Thank you so much! The ovulation test barely came up with a line today, so probably tomorrow I will be ovulating, and we are crossing our fingers! Good luck to you too!!! Let us know about you too!

JMChappell replied to JMChappell's response:
Oh btw, the clomid starts making improvements pretty fast! It started regulating my period and helping already, and this was only my 2nd round. It really would be somethin g to look into!=>

cfolkman23 replied to JMChappell's response:
Thanks for the information! And I hope this round works out for you! My doctor can't figure out why I'm not ovulating. She did some blood work and it showed that my LH and FSH levels are kind of weird. The levels themselves are fine, but in relation to each other they seem to be backwards. I guess usually the FSH is supposed to be higher than the LH, but my LH is almost three times higher than FSH. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but my doctor said that is what is preventing me from having a cycle. I went to my doctor last week and asked her about Clomid. She said she recommended that I try it, but she said the process she does isn't covered by insurance and it would cost me about $1,000 out of pocket. I know my insurance does cover Clomid, so I asked her why it was so expensive and she didn't really give me a good answer, so I'm going to get a second opinion this week from a different doctor. Hopefully they'll have a better idea of what is going on! Good luck with this round of Clomid and let me know how it goes!

JMChappell replied to cfolkman23's response:
I hope they can find something to help you ovulate! I think you should get a second oppinion because clomid does not cost that much, even without insurance. Hope you get some answers.

Yeah I am very frustrated, I took clomid this cycle; I was suppose to get my period two days ago, I still havn't, but the tests are coming up negative. I wish I would at least know why...

bbloomston responded:
Hey JM, First of all- hang in there. Most of us girls have been ttc for a long time too and the thing we all know is it's tough to keep remembering how long the journey has been. Instead it's best to focus on the present.

I did 6 clomid cycles over the last 2 and 1/2 years and am now on to IUI with Injectables. You might already know all of this, but here are a couple things I wish I had known about clomid that I kick myself for not researching in my early cycles.

1. Clomid can dry up your cervical mucus, so you might want to consider pre-seed
2. if you're using ovulation detector sticks, you should be having intercourse before they turn positive (I thought is was when they turn positive and kept missing my window). Hubby and I finally started bd every other night starting day 10 until 2 days after a positive opk.
3. if you're cycles have been pretty consistent in length, you can count back about 14 days to figure out when you ovulated. No matter when you ovulate (day 12 or day 20) you luteal phase is always about 14 days long* there are of course, exceptions to this like luteal phase defect where your body doesn't produce enough progesterone and it lasts less than 10 days.
4. Temping (even though it's a pain) can be a really great tool to figure out when you're ovulating. During my clomid cycles the numbers played out exactly like they were supposed to.

Best of luck and fingers crossed that you'll have success!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashley and I am 22 years old. I married a wonderful man on October 27, 2007. His name is Joseph and he is 23. We were high school sweet hea...More

Helpful Tips

Trying to conceive for 9 months
Hi, I'm new to this community. After reading some of the posts, I thought this may be a good place to get support as I struggle through ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.