Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
1.5 years and no baby
Hopeto posted:
Started trying for our first baby at age 33, now I am not to far from my 35th birthday and nothing. Initial tests show nothing wrong with me, ovulation every month like clockwork, healthy weight and everything. My boyfriend is now going to get tested. I read that 90% of all couples conceive after such a long time, so Im getting scared of never having a baby. Also, I have read that fertility decreases after 35. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Hopeto!

Yes, you are correct about fertility decreasing. Unfortunately, it decreases at thirty, and just continues downward so the odds are already lower than you may think. This Getting Pregnant Quiz notes that after one year of trying:

Age 20: 90% probability
Age 30: 70% probability
Age 35: 55% probability

I would really suggest you consider consulting a fertility expert. Your husband/boyfriend may also need to be looked at as 30-40% of fertility issues are due to male issues.

Best wishes and let us know what you decide,

Byroney
I'm not going to vacuum 'til Sears makes one you can ride on.~
Roseanne Barr

Hopeto replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for replying. 55%? Ouch, I did not know that. My boyfriend has been dragging his heels to get his test done, but I called him and told him to go this week. I am starting to suspect we won`t be able to conceive the natural way. Luckily I live in Norway, so the doctor tells me If need be we can get 3 tries of IVF for a greatly reduced price. I am getting tired of always looking for pregnancy signs and obsessing over my cycle...

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to Hopeto's response:
I'm so glad to hear you live in Norway and will be able to try IVF if needed. I wish there were programs like that in all countries to help those couples trying to have a baby.

If you have a chance sometime to pop in share an update, that would be great. You may also want to try posting on the Infertility Treatment community which is a bit livelier.

Cheering you on,

Byroney
Roseanne Barr

Thank you Byroney, it is good to have someone cheering me on. Another negative pregnancy test today, I really had hopes this month. Luckily you can buy pregnancy test strips by the bulk on the internet cause I use about 3 a month . I will check out the community you mentioned.

I'm sorry this month wasn't your month, Hopeto. Any news on your boyfriend's testing?

Hope that November proves to be The Month for you!

Byroney
Roseanne Barr

We will get the results in about a week or two. At this point I just want to know what is wrong so I know how to deal with it. Have a good weekend Byroney!

You as well, Hopeto! I'll be watching for your update.

Byroney
Roseanne Barr

My boy friends test came back. Everything normal. Unexplained infertility is still the case. We are now transfered to a consultation about IVF. In Norway, you get 3 tries on IVF if you are 39 or younger. After that you have to pay for it by going to a private hospital.

Got an appointment for IVF consideration appontment in the new year since we have been trying for 1.8 months with no result. Had made peace with not being able to have a baby the " natural" way. Took a pregnancy test last week like I do every month. Was going to throw it away but checked it first with a quick glance. It was positive. Took 2 more today, and my period has not come, and they were both positive. I so hope it will "stick". Have not told the hubby yet because I am afraid it is a chemical pregnancy. Wish me luck!

lindseymk replied to Hopeto's response:
Congrats! Sounds like a happy, happy day!! I thinks 3 positives it a pretty safe bet! You deserve this! Keep us posted on your progress! )

Hopeto replied to lindseymk's response:
Thank you lindseymk! I took another test today. One of the fancy digital ones where you can read the words pregnant and aprox how many weeks since conception. It said pregnant 2-3 weeks!
Put the test in front of my hubbys pc. He came out all bewildered and wondered what 2-3 was. He was so shocked by the pregnant sign that he for a second was thinking 2-3 babies )). I am optimistic, but it is still very early. I so hope this will work out ok because we have waited so long.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, I'm Kim. My husband and I have been trying on our own for a child for about a year. We are now starting the next step in our journey by ask...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
Tips provided by Heather and Allison! Thanks ladies (Hope I don't screw this up!) Type in (without spaces) -- : cool : for : angry : ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.