Skip to content
TTC 17 months
Scoligirl622 posted:
Hello My husband and I have been off protection for nearly 17 months now (since July 2010). I am getting so discouraged!! Especially since friends have since tried, been pregnant, tried again and now pregnant with baby #2. Some days all I can do is cry. I am 24 and my husband is 27, 28 in January. We are young and in our prime! What is wrong with me? I feel so defective. I have an appointment schedule November 22 to meet with a doctor for a "pre-conception counseling" appt (the OB/GYN I will be meeting with told me to specify the appt as such to ensure it was covered by insurance) and I have no idea what to expect. Can anyone give me a heads up on this appointment? I was shaking and near tears when I got off the phone from scheduling. I received my paperwork in the mail today for my appt and I don't know how to answer half of the questions because my husband's father was adopted, so we don't know ancestry for that side of the family. That being said, I am ok with adoption. Happy with adoption. I just want answers.
BabyParks responded:
If you have been "trying" for 17 months I would suggest going to a Fertility dr. If you have been trying 12 months or longer it's time. You can start out with the obgyn and let them do the standard testing but I would want hubby to get an SA to make sure he is ok too. My husband has motility issues and i've recently had surgery so after 17 months of also TTC like you we are still not pregnant but have been thru 4 rounds of Clomid and 1 IUI and a surgery and he is now of vitamins to boost his sperm motility. I hope this helps. You are moving in the right direction getting an opinion from the doctor but I would make sure if you have been trying for a year to see if they can refer you to a specialist. They will probably take some blood work and may require you to come back so they can get some bloodwork to make sure you ovulate so you may have several appointments throughout the month or they may go ahead and refer you to a Reproductive dr and if they do it will be good they can rule out anything and get you headed in the right direction. Usually starting out with a low dose of clomid or something first and try that for several cycles. I am also leaning towards adoption if we aren't pregnant by the time my son is 3. I hope that helps some and good luck to you whatever you decide! We also know nothing about hubby because his dad left when he was 5 and I know nothing about his family history on his side so you do the best you can with what you know. I hope that helps some too.
Scoligirl622 replied to BabyParks's response:
Thank you so much for my encouragement! I am both excited and fearful of my appt on 11/22. I trust her opinion and will be waiting to see what fertility clinic Dr Austin refers me to- given it is necessary. Yes, I am still I'm denial. Well, denial or optimistic, I suppose. Now hat I have shared with a couple of close friends and I have cried with them, I feel so much better. I feel I am finally getting out the emotions I have kept for the past 17 months. Girls need to cry, right? Again, I can't thank you enough for your response- it reminds me I am not alone!!
BabyParks replied to Scoligirl622's response:
Yes we do need to cry. It is good to have a cry every now and then or once a month as I like to have You are not alone so many are also on this journey of TTC. check out the inferility board it's a good one also and they offer great advice there too as this one is not as active but still great! I am glad you are optimistic that is key to success. I need to be more like you. I hope you get your BFP and need no more test or anything further.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Sarah...I am about to turn 33 years old and have been ttc for over 5 years on my own. I really kept feeling like it would just happen...More

Helpful Tips

Can herbs treat severe hydrosalpnix?
Can herbs treat severe hydrosalpinx ? Before answering this question, we need to figure out what the hydrosalpinx is and why this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.