Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help
meganleach09 posted:
I have never posted anything like this. My and my husband have been trying to get pregnant for about 1.5 years. I just recently found that I have PCOS. I go for about 6-7 months without a period and I never know when it is going to occur. It is heartbreaking. Sometimes I feel like I am a failure even though there is nothing I can do about the problem. I am trying to remain positive but the doctors have told me that it is going to be near impossible for me to get pregnant. I feel like I have been on an emotional roller coaster because we got married around the same time as three of our friends and one of them is on their 4th child and others have had no problem getting pregnant. When we talk they ask me when we are going to get started and I really don't know what to say. I want to be excited for them and I don't want them to feel bad for us.
I have tried Provera to help me regulate but it works for one cycle and then I go back to waiting. I have been told about Clomid but someone told me that it rarely works for woman with PCOS. Is this true? I need some tips or opinions or something!

ATT76 responded:
What kind of doctor are you seeing? Are you seeing an RE? If not I would schedule an appointment with one. There ARE drugs out there to help regulate your period, the doctor you are with just isn't getting the right ones. One of the ladies I talk to on the clomid community has PCOS and has been taking Metaformin (not sure about the spelling, I will look) progestrone suppositories, and clomid. I will look into what she said she was on and let you know.

deliela999 responded:
Sounds like it's time for a new doctor! That's very negative to tell you it will be near impossible to get pregnant. Plenty of women with PCOS get pregnant and have healthy babies, you just need a little extra help. Metformin and Clomid are the most common, but there are other options too. My sister has PCOS and a perfect little girl that's almost 3 months old. My doctor hasn't diagnosed PCOS because I only meet 1/2 the criteria, but he's giving me clomid since I wasn't ovulating. My sister and I both work with our regular OBGYN's that we've been seeing for years and if you work it out right the insurance should pay for most of it except the clomid. A good doctor is critical in this journey.

fiannakyn replied to deliela999's response:
I have PCOS and am actually a rare "it never happened*. My sister also has PCOS and has 3 kids. I live in a area without a RE so I stopped after clomid didnt work for me, but it works well for a lot of PCOS paitents. We think theres something else at play with my fertility.

If you do not have and RE in your area, at least go see an Endocrinologist who can treat the overall hormonal imbalance that PCOS causes. Metformin does wonders with PCOS, it DOES help me regulate and many PCOS ladies have gotten pregnant on Metformin alone.

There is also a PCOS support board here on WebMD if you haven't already gone there.
Vicky

jenkoelenko responded:
I have PCOS and stage 4 endometriosis, I have been on about 7 rounds of clomid total. We've been trying for over 4 1/2 years to get pregnant... I finally got pregnant while on clomid and metformin in July. Sadly, my baby was only with me for 10 weeks before going back home... But, it DOES work. Metformin, IMHO, also had a HUGE part in me getting prego. I would suggest talking with you dr about both of those together possibly. Good Luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (26) DH (34) - TTC #1 since 8/2005. Started Metformin 3x a day 2/2010. DH has good count but not the right amount of "normal" guys. Prayi...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.