Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OB/GYN Evaluation
An_241766 posted:
Hello. Last month, my wife had her first infertility evaluation from her OB. The OB performed an exam on my wife (didn't find anything wrong). She didn't ask my wife many questions..basically only asked about how often we have sex and that's it. She then told us that our next steps are blood work and then HSG Test. It seems like the OB didn't do a thorough job and take this seriously. Is this a standard procedure for most OB's during the first evaluation? I'm disappointed in the first evaluation the OB provided.

ballerinagirl79 responded:
That was kind of what our first ob appt was like too (didn't help that we are in a new region and I hadn't met the ob before wanting to talk about fertility). We were lucky to find a group that works with several ob's in our region. We're just getting started (we're doing a natural cycle this month, I had bloodwork done, and will have an ultrasound to see if I'm ovulating. They proposed trying this before having an HSG test. My thoughts would be look around for any fertility support groups (might even try meetup.com) - as a local place to ask questions/feedback from other couples looking to conceive.

bbloomston replied to ballerinagirl79's response:
This is pretty standard, but if you and your wife have other information you feel like the doc should know you need to be sure to mention it to your doctor. We all know that the squeaky gets more grease when it comes to Infertility. Good Luck!

spartyfanva replied to ballerinagirl79's response:
Thanks. I wonder if the ultrasounds is as effective as the HSG. My wife's OB is recommending the HSG and my wife is not excited about the HSG. It's quite an invasive procedure.

spartyfanva replied to spartyfanva's response:
My wife got her period today. We've been trying forever. Life sucks! I'm always angry and depressed now.

jenkoelenko replied to spartyfanva's response:
the HSG will be able to see if your wife's fallopian tubes are open, which an ultrasound, by itself, can't. A word of caution if your wife has kinda painful periods at all: take some ibuprofen an hour or so BEFORE you go in. The HSG somewhat intensifies the normal cramping experienced during a period.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 38, soon to be 39, years old. My husband is 38 also. We have our precious little 3YO guy, but we have been TTC a second child for two years now. ...More

Helpful Tips

Abbreviations
Copied from http://ttcjso.blogspot.com/ 1ww: 1 week wait 2ww: 2 Week Wait AF: Aunt Flow (menstrual cycle) AI: Artificial ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.