Skip to content
Anyone else Catholic?
0o0ashley0o0 posted:
Hey girls! Just wondering if anyone else was Catholic and what sort of fertility treatments the church doesn't allow. We haven't started the whole fertility workup yet, we're waiting until we've been trying at least a year. I know the Catholic Church doesn't support IVF or IUI - anything else? That's ok with us. If we aren't able to conceive without lots of medical intervention we are more than happy to adopt. DH was actually adopted, and we've talked about adopting anyways even if we can have biological kids too.

Bellisima09 responded:
Hi Ashley, I'm Catholic. Wow, I had no idea infertility treatments were controversial with the church. All I remember from marriage prep was the lecture on natural family planning DH and I also talk about adopting, with or without biological kiddos.

aso0523 responded:
HI Ashley,

I too am Catholic but do not know about the acceptable treatments. I am sure there is a website that could cover that or if you ask your priest they may be up on that.

Good question though to look into. I hope I do not have to go down that road, but I am ready to do it if I had to....

hopefulmrs responded:
Hi, I'm Catholic and ttc and have a pretty good knowledge of what the Church does and does not allow in terms of fertility treatments, having studied theology myself and also having married my wonderful husband who was in the seminary for 4 years before he met me.

The Catholic Church does not allow any artificial reproductive technology that takes conception out of the union of husband and wife. It does not allow this not only because it separates the procreative and unitive acts of marriage, but also because those technologies almost always inevitably result in the deaths of children. In IVF, for example, 10 eggs might be fertilized (which means that from the moment of conception that did occur, a child was formed; tiny and not wholly formed, true, but it does have a soul from the moment of conception), and only 1 or 2 fertilized eggs will be used. The other embryos are either frozen or disposed of-both of which go against the dignity of the human person. Humanae Vitae is a great document about this from the Vatican.

The Church does allow things that keep the procreative and unitive aspects of marriage together and help the body to do what it was naturally made to do. I use Napro technology myself. My husband and I started trying for a baby nine months after we were married. We were successful on our fourth cycle but that pregnancy ended in miscarriage around the 8 week mark in August. I don't have any major infertility issues, but I do have low hormone levels. My Napro doctor actually had me take HcG injections after ovulation on the cycle that I conceived as it would increase progesterone levels in the second half of that cycle and estrogen levels the first half of the next cycle. Of course, we couldn't know I was pregnant when I began that treatment and I actually conceived without HcG as conception had already happened by the time I started the HcH (3 dpo).

What my doctor has had me doing now (the last two cycles) was to take a progesterone suppository from days 3-12 after ovulation and clomid from days 3-7 of the cycle. These treatments are great because they not only increase the chance of having a successful conception and pregnancy, but they also work to correct the problem at its root, rather than just try to override it. I have also heard that if clomid is going to work for someone, it is usually within the first 4 cycles, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was a little impatient this time around and tested on day 10 past ovulation and about five days before I was expecting my period which is a little early. I should be getting my friend Thursday or Friday unless of course I get that bfp. All I can say is that Napro technology actually has a higher success rate than IVF and many other ART's and it is totally in line with Church teaching and really helps the husband and wife to grown in their relationship and understanding of each other. If anyone has any other questions, I'd be more than happy to try my best to answer them!

God bless you all!

An_250328 replied to hopefulmrs's response:
I said a novena to Jesus of the divine mercy every day you say it at 3pm for 9 day and on the last day you ask for your blessng, I was never really religious sometimes the opposite but I had pcos and had to have an overy removed and the other was pretty ugly, we tried ivf, clomid all of them but nothing except this prayer, I woke up one morning and just knew I was pregnant my man thought i was doing what I always did getting my hopes up when every period feels like a miscarriage because it should have been my baby and d be in darkness for days, coldnt even look at girls with a baby at one point. I truly believe that God heard that prayer xxx so blessed xxx

consuella responded:
Appreciation to chief oduwa legba for the great help for making me pregnant today after 4years of barrenness and all the insult from my husbands family for not able to conceive and have a child for my lovely husband,i thought all hope was lost until i saw how a woman testify from Canada how chief oduwa legba help her get pregnant naturally with the contact email and i contact him for the same help.after chief oduwa legba help i got pregnant 31days later as he said that i will conceive after 31days exactly 31days i got pregnant and am here to testify and give him the glory for the great help and assistant he has rendered to my life,contact him via on facebook (Oduduwa Ajakaye)

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband I were married May 09. I stopped BC in Feb 09 and we started actively TTC in Aug 09 with the help of Clomid. Went through 7 months worth of...More

Helpful Tips

try this website http://www.naturacure.net/
my friend said this really works http://www.naturacure.net/ More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.